New Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolly1

New User
Alan
This is a picture of a desk I made for my son recently.
It is made from baltic birch and mahogany. Desk top is 51" X 24". top to floor is 30". Bottom of desk to floor is 25".

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Very nice results. Based on the name "portola", I am guessing this comes apart for transporting. It reminds me of a pic I saw somewhere of a battle field desk.

Mike

rolly1

New User
Alan
Thank You all for the kind comments. I used a oil based mahogany stain and wipe on varnish finish followed buy a couple coats of polycrylic when everything dried.

dozer

Mike
Nice desk I like the fold up legs also that is a really good idea. How heavy did the desk end up being? If it is light enough that the wife or kids could move it that would be even more convenient.

rolly1

New User
Alan
I am not sure what the finished weight is but it can be moved by one adult. I suppose you could put some handles on the back side of the desk and carry it like a large suitcase if you either removed the drawers or taped them shut.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Alan,

You might be on to something there... what about some catches or latches for the drawers to keep them secure when someone is hauling the desk around? I'm thinking something that would be decrative as well as functional... like a brass latch

Ray

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Alan,

I just got a copy of the Lee Valley & Veritas Hardware Catalog... it's loaded with hinges, handles, hooks, locks, etc. 240 pages of them. You can browse on line or order the catalog... try www.leevalley.com ... and there are certainly other suppliers.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors