New Delta Contractor's Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Yesterday afternoon, while going through the neighborhood Lowes store there was a new Delta Contractor's saw sitting in the main aisle near the tool section. I hadn't seen any Delta tools since they were spun off of DeWalt/Porter Cable, so I was very interested to see what this new model was all about. From a quick look it resembled the older contractor saws with the sheet metal side table extensions but these were flat and smooth, unlike the earlier models., The motor appears to be a direct to blade style or with a small timing belt drive since it is fully under the table and no longer hangs out the back of the saw. There is a dust shroud around the blade and the vacuum connection sticks out through an arched slot in the back panel The saw fence is a redesigned version of the older Contractor's Saw fence and if my memory is correct it has the fine fence adjustment knob like the older fence. It locks in place with a lever similar to the older saw too. The saw was priced at $599.

I wasn't able to look at it further, because my son was eager to finish the project that we had started, so I decided to go back for a better look today. When I did I found that the saw had already been sold and gone (I didn't even get a picture of it). It was the only one that they had, so I guess I'll have to wait for them to get another one to see the fine details. I'm not considering a purchase since I already have a Unisaw and my son has an older Contractor's Saw. I was mostly interested in seeing what the new Delta Company was producing.

Charley

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Charles,
We were talking about that a little while ago and stole someone else's thread...

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51195

I think the link is gone so I am posting the picture again;

Delta_Table_saw.jpg

Last edited:

Rick M

New User
Rick
The new saw is belt driven by a 13A induction motor and has the T2 fence. It's a nice looking saw, very sturdy. Early user reports suggest fit and finish can be a little irregular, there are errors in the manual, but once set up seems to be an excellent saw for the money.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
I saw one of these the other day and it caught my eye. It looked like a pretty good saw I didn't really get it much thought after word. I've always had good luck with delta I own a uni, and two xl 10s and haven't had a problem with any of them.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
I saw one in Lowes the other day and was not real impressed with the fence.
It seemed to pop out whenever I messed with it, but it locked down fairly smooth. Just can't trust that it would stay in line with the blade and square unless it's riding inside of a track. This that what you noticed?

Rick M

New User
Rick
I saw one in Lowes the other day and was not real impressed with the fence.

The 30" Biesemeyer is $360 alone, there are going to be compromises on a $600 saw. It's unfortunate that Delta chose to compete at such a low price point but these are really targeted at contractors (power, lightweight, mobility, good fence) not woodworkers.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
It seemed to pop out whenever I messed with it, but it locked down fairly smooth. Just can't trust that it would stay in line with the blade and square unless it's riding inside of a track. This that what you noticed?

Yes that is what I noticed also, I would add also that they are competing in a market targeting the average homeowner and the "show and no go" factor plays into the design more than the quality. I remember back in the 80's all the car manufacturers were producing what they called "muscle cars" but were only 4 and 6 cylinders with alot of stickers on the fenders and hood. I guess if one places a "GT" or "RT" as an emblem Joe Public will buy it thinking it is a muscle car. But I am stepping off the soapbox now, sorry for the rant......

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
FWIW, I looked at the manual and parts list for this saw. The parts list drawings suggest that this saw does not use a standard motor. I also don't see any reference to a drive belt in either the manual or the parts list - not even under "Replacement Parts".

Maybe that's one of those errors Rick (wormil) mentioned.

The saw does have a bunch of nice usability features- riving knife, arbor lock, dust collection port, easy adjustments and "Blade Brake stops the blade within seconds of the power being turned off"

-Mark

Rick M

New User
Rick
I don't see anything suggesting a nonstandard motor. If you mean the shape, looks to be part of a larger assembly. There are parts on the diagram not on the list so there must be a page missing. If I had to guess it's either direct drive or running off a short timing belt. Since they claim belt driven, probably the latter.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors