New computer counter tops

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I posted a while back the beginnings of building some computer countertops. I got them glued up, then work hit the overdrive button and I have been working 60+ hrs /wk since.

Anyway, the back story - When I moved here a bunch of strippings I had, got damaged by a leaking ship container.

The insurance company paid for the loss, but let me keep the lumber ......... cool free wood I thought. . .. until I made these tops. The wood had a lot of movement (alot of internal tension) and took until I was almost done before it finally settled down........ free was a pain. But, I got there.

I got them planed, sanded and then, I lacquered them and before they could dry the rain came ( gotta love Hawaii). Pocked the finish. I sanded it and ran a new top coat since I was using Lacquer. At that point, I just needed them done as I really ran out of time.

I sanded to 320 then, wet sanded to 1500. Then polished with Cerium oxide-pink (roughly 17,000). This is the result, not what I hoped but definitely a save from the damage from the rain.

The pixs tell the story. Btw, the wood is African and Honduran Mahogany, Sapele, White Oak, Maple, Brazilian Walnut and Robusta.

I have 2 stations . One for my personal computer and one for my work computer. Glad they are done.

Attachments

• Counters (1).jpg
    Counters (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • Counters (2).jpg
    Counters (2).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Counters (3).jpg
    Counters (3).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • Counters (6).jpg
    Counters (6).jpg