New Cabinet build for church ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
I am going to attempt to build a cabinet for our church sound area. It will be 60" wide, 36" tall, and 12-14" deep. It will have drawers across the top and doors. It will be painted egg shell off-white.

We got a quote on it for $550.00. So, I am going to get some experience at building, not only a cabinet, but drawers and doors as well. I have never done this, so any words of wisdom are welcomed.

I plan to use MDF for the carcass? And I don't know, oak, maple. poplar for the body? For the drawers, i understand birch or polar?

I did find the PDF download for "How to make cabinets" by Kreg. And am reading it.

Thanks for any input the you experts have!!!

P.S. I will document pics (the good, the bad and the ugly) throughout the build.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Do KNOT use mdf. You can get cheap birch ply at the Borg for about 40 a sheet. MDF has no structural strength, will KNOT take screws well, weighs a zillion tons, dust will choke ya, needs tons of primer, Other than that its ok :rotflm:
Jack

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
A BIG + 1 for plywood! And, it's MUCH lighter to handle! MDF gets wet, so long cabinet!

m2cw
:wsmile:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
+2 on ply.

When I built the one for my church I scored 2 sheets of 3/4 oak ply at Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $16. $8 PER SHEET. So I definitely saved major $$$$.

Two words for construction: pocket holes!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Sometimes you can score MDO (sign makers exterior) plywood at Builders discount center for about $12 a sheet (3/4"). If not, the Arauco ply at Lowes would also be a good solid ply for a painted item. It should be about $10 less per sheet than the birch. Don't know what HD has that is comparable (none near me).

Go

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
OK....I sense an undertone here that perhaps I should reconsider my choice of MDF. :gar-Bi I will go with either the birch or oak ply. I am looking for a plan. If I can't find one, i will have to draw one. Still considering how the base and top should be made to add a little decorative touch. Thanks and keep the ideas coming!!

blazeman45

New User
Steve
OK....I sense an undertone here that perhaps I should reconsider my choice of MDF. :gar-Bi I will go with either the birch or oak ply. I am looking for a plan. If I can't find one, i will have to draw one. Still considering how the base and top should be made to add a little decorative touch. Thanks and keep the ideas coming!!

+++++++++++++2 on the plywood!!

Shoot me an IM with your phone number if you need any help with building tips for the cabinet... I have built 1 or 2 in my time!! :gar-La;

I am getting ready to do a new kitchen for the wife... you can come help if you want... Will need to know what size your hand is to see if my sander will fit it!! :rotflm::rotflm:

I can also possibly send you a detail drawing on how to do it after I get a def feel for what you are thinking about... Let me know!!

Steve

mcoleman

New User
Mark
Good luck on your cabinet, and I am a +1 for the pocket holes. The bookcase project I just did is the first time I had used them, and it was amazing how easy they made the joinery. Plus it goes together fast.

+1 on the plywood also. I am an MDF lover, but mostly for shop jigs and glue projects. That stuff is HEAVY and screwing into the end grain is no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS