New business in Asheville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I passed by this business a few weeks ago and tonight saw an ad for it with a web site listed.

Do any of the Asheville area members know anything about this shop or the folks behind it ?

http://diywoodworkingshop.com/index.html

Sounds like an good idea...especially if ya need a piece of equipment occasionally, but not enough to purchase one.

Brent

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great idea if they can get past the liability hurdles. Even with participants signing a 'hold harmless' waiver, they may have issues. This type of thing has been discussed in parallel here in other threads about letting others use our personal shops with much the same concern.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
I passed by this business a few weeks ago and tonight saw an ad for it with a web site listed.

Do any of the Asheville area members know anything about this shop or the folks behind it ?

http://diywoodworkingshop.com/index.html

Sounds like an good idea...especially if ya need a piece of equipment occasionally, but not enought to purchase one.

Brent

I'm familiar with it, have driven past it several times, but havn't been in to the shop there at all.

-gp

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I'd not heard of it til I read this. But, I don't get out much. Go to work, come home, repeat as scheduled.
I think its a great idea and could be the answer to a lot of people's needs.
Even if you've got a shop, this could be a great resource for some guidance to certain tools/techniques at a reasonable price.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
We had one like this when I lived in Grand Rapids MI. It was attached to a woodworking store and if I remember they closed it down due to a couple of incidents that happened to customers. I remember there were lawsuits filed even with releases signed. I wouldn't be using it much at the prices they charge. If you do it monthly @ $1350, that equals a very nice shop of your own in 12 months or less and even occasionally it wouldn't take long to equal that piece of equipment you use. The best example of a shared shop I have seen is the Greenville SC woodworking guild. They have a large shop with large equipment for all their members to use as needed. Went there a few time when I lived down there and they are a great bunch of guys.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
if you are in charlotte you can join Charlotte Woodworkers and have use of the shop at Jackson Park Ministries and access to a group of experienced woodworkers generally excited to help out new folks.

cskipper

Cathy
if you are in charlotte you can join Charlotte Woodworkers and have use of the shop at Jackson Park Ministries and access to a group of experienced woodworkers generally excited to help out new folks.

The same is true of the Greenville (SC) woodworker group.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
If you do it monthly @ $1350, that equals a very nice shop of your own in 12 months or less and even occasionally it wouldn't take long to equal that piece of equipment you use.

this assumes you aren't having to pay anything for the space (land, building, utilities, insurance, etc) you are working in just buying the tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors