New Boxes

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Here are Box Nos 2 & 3 of a three-box commission. The first box was posted last month and was a birthday gift for the client's wife. These two boxes are wedding gifts. They are both made of Pommele Sapele with a book-matched walnut veneer lid, lined with pig suede (top & bottom), and then lined with curly maple. The divider and main tray are curly maple, and the ring trays are claro walnut and rosewood with curly maple trim. The hardware is Brusso stop hinges, and the lock is a "Smartlock" from Andrew Crawford (smartBoxmaker: Box Making Courses, Premium Box Hardware & More).

The Pommele Sapele is a pleasure to work with. It cuts clean, and it loves hand tools (planes beautifully). The best part of the build is applying the finish. I use Odie's Dark oil, and when I apply it, the Sapele "pops" and takes on an iridescent look and a 3D effect with the pommele grain.

I have just enough of the Pommele Sapele left to build a like box for my better half.

Wedding Boxes 1.jpg
Wedding Boxes 2.jpg

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Yes beautiful work indeed!
Did you apply anything after the oil?
Hitch, I do two coats of Odie's about 48 hrs between and then a coat of Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish after a week. I've tried Odies Wax and was just not happy with it. No matter how sparsely you apply and buff off vigorously, it still feels slightly greasy and tends to leave fingerprints. In comparison, the Renaissance shows no fingerprints and feels silky smooth.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Dan I love Ren wax! Have always had great results with it. Even brought some worn leather back to life with it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I should come up to visit, maybe some of that talent would rub off on me! AMAZING work @dancam

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS