New Box

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I just finished a new box. It's Claro Walnut with curly maple interior and accents. I inlaid the top with a Turkish walnut book-matched veneer. I also lined the top and bottom with pig skin suede. The hinges and lid support are from Brusso, and the full mortise lock is a "Smartlock" from Smartboxmaker.com. I must say this lock is a thing of beauty. It is precisely machined and an absolute breeze to install (router table), albeit a tad expensive. I finished the box with 2-3 coats of Odie's Dark oil.

View attachment 211384View attachment 211385View attachment 211386View attachment 211387View attachment 211388
I don't suppose there are any plans detailing the construction of this beautiful box. I'm fairly new to all this but it seems easier with a written design plan

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I don't suppose there are any plans detailing the construction of this beautiful box. I'm fairly new to all this but it seems easier with a written design plan
Jim, Sorry, there are no formal plans. I base my proportions on the available wood and what will be the purpose of the box. I also try to follow the Fibonacci rule or Golden Triangle (1.618). This gives a pleasing proportion.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Jim, Sorry, there are no formal plans. I base my proportions on the available wood and what will be the purpose of the box. I also try to follow the Fibonacci rule or Golden Triangle (1.618). This gives a pleasing proportion.
Thank you. I'll practice up and get there soon enough. Meanwhile I'll look up this Golden triangle.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS