Needed: Railroad Wall Clock Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Does anyone have (or know of) a good plan for a wall mounted railroad clock. I've searched a number on online sites for plans and what they have are pretty basic regulator, shaker, or Seth Thomas type clocks. I'm looking for something a little more ornate and unique. While not set on it, if I had to give a style I would say something along the lines of the Federal period. As for dimensions I'm thinking on the order of about 3ft. tall x 18" wide x 8-10" deep. Any ideas on finding a plan in this ball park would be appreciated. Thanks.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Sorry for not answering your post sooner Ray, but I am still on the road. You have probably looked at all the plans that I know of already, but if the clock you have in mind doesn't entail scroll saw work, then Cherry Tree/Wildwood Designs has the best selection, along with Klockit. If you would like scroll sawn clocks, then again see Cherry Tree/Wildwood, or The Art Factory, Dirk Boelman designs. Also, check out Scrollers, and The Winfield Collection. I have built the standard Station Regulator, and its a beautiful clock. An alternative is to modify a plan you like to dimensions you desire. Of one thing to be sure, order your clock components before building the clock. Nothing is more disappointing than to build a great case and find the components don't fit, or are no longer available. Happy sawdusting!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I know nothing about railroad clocks, but for wall clocks beyond " pretty basic regulator, shaker, or Seth Thomas type clocks", have you looked at the Vienna regulator-type ?

-Mark

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Thanks for the responses Bruce and Mark.

I've looked at the scrollsaw sites Bruce, and while I don't do much scrolling there were a number of ideas in the sites you mentioned to get me to thinking about it a little more.

Mark, your reference to Vienna Regulator clocks sent me a direction that led to sites on those types of clocks. Pretty much what I was looking for and while I haven't found any plans yet, I feel I can gather enough by way of photos and clock parts catalogs to do a plan of my own.

I appreicate the ideas!!!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I can't remember whether the clock you are looking for has a rectangular box, or the eight sided face and pendilum swing area. If it's the eight sided one, the video that comes with the Dubby shows how to make the these

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I’m not sure what, specifically, characterizes a “railroad”wall clock, but perhaps the pendulum clock featured in issue number 89 of Woodsmith magazine could be modified to fit your needs. I built one about 18 years ago and it has served us well since. While my skills remain questionable, they were more so then, but the plan made construction a straight-forward proposition.

Last edited:

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Thanks Bruce. The one I'm looking to make right now will have a pendulum but not necessarily an octagonal face. More along the lines of a Vienna Regulator as suggested by Mark. I will look into the Dubby video though as I will be doing octagons on other clock projects at some point.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
That's a nice looking clock Ed. My reference to "railroad" clock came from my seeing a clock that was presented to a retiring railroad man sometime ago (father of a friend of mine). In looking for plans most of what I found were regulator clocks which were o.k., but I want somethiing a little more ornate. So in to communicate that in my request for help I decided it might narrow things down to refer to it as a "railroad" clock. When I looked up Vienna Regulator clocks at Mark's suggestion the designs came very close to what I was looking for so you see I didn't know much about "railroad clocks myself. I'm now looking for plans for a Vienna Regulator! Thanks again for yourn response.

Ray

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Ray,

I Googled Vienna Regulator (images) and learned immediately the significant difference between that design and what I built. Many of the examples I saw were extraordinarily ornate. It looks like a challenging project and I’m eager to see your results.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS