need tupelo/black gum

Status
Not open for further replies.

MT native

New User
Jane
I am trying to find a source for Tupelo/Black Gum wood for power carving. Preferably stumps. Do you guys know anybody in my area (Elkin - Mt Airy) that would have stumps or trees available?

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
HI Jane and welcome to the site. I can't help you with your request. But I did merge the two identical thread you somehow got started into one. Way to start upping your post count right off the bat. :icon_thum:wwink:
I am sure someone will be along soon that might be more familiar with your area and what's available.
Please drop by the Who We Are forum and give us all a little intro to you and what you like to do...I am assuming carving is one of your activities :cool:

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey Jane, welcome to the site! I see you're a map maker...cool. So...I can't help you with the black gum, but I do have a question for you...

Have you ever had to stop to ask for directions??? :rotflm::rotflm:

...feel free to ignore me :gar-Bi

Chris

MT native

New User
Jane
Howdy DaveO,
Sorry bout that double post. I'm new to this site and still figuring out how things work in here.

And, YES Chris I have to ask directions all the time. It's really embarassing when I can't read a basic road map. :slap:

HI Jane and welcome to the site. I can't help you with your request. But I did merge the two identical thread you somehow got started into one. Way to start upping your post count right off the bat. :icon_thum:wwink:
I am sure someone will be along soon that might be more familiar with your area and what's available.
Please drop by the Who We Are forum and give us all a little intro to you and what you like to do...I am assuming carving is one of your activities :cool:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
How big of a tree do you want? Do you have a way to move it?

I'll look this weekend and see what's growing out in the back 40.

I'm 17 miles East of Mt. Airy if that's not too far.

MT native

New User
Jane
Hi Mike, Wow! Thanks for the reply.
I need 3-12" thick by 6" to 3ft long blocks so I would think a min. 8" diam tree would work. Since you live so close I would cut into 2-3ft long pieces with my chainsaw and put into the back of my Mid-sized SUV. It may mean multiple trips to your place tho. If you have several trees/stumps I will consider borrowing/renting a trailer. I will also need to find someone locally who can mill it for me.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
8 to 12 inch trees I may have, but I will have to look. I don't remember seeing any Black Gum but we have almost every common hardwood that grows in the South.

If it was maple, dogwood, poplar, sycamore, cherry, walnut, persimmon, oak, sassafras, locust, hickory or beech I could take you straight to it.

Are you sure you want Black Gum?
The wood is very tough, cross-grained, hard to work, and warps easily. It can be used for containers, crossties, rough flooring and pulpwood. Black gum heartwood often rots, creating dens for wildlife, including black bears.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Howdy DaveO,
Sorry bout that double post. I'm new to this site and still figuring out how things work in here.

And, YES Chris I have to ask directions all the time. It's really embarassing when I can't read a basic road map. :slap:

No apologizes needed, just a little house keeping.

MT native

New User
Jane
Howdie Mike, I just found out that the Tupelo/Black Gum wood for carving is the stump and up to five feet above the ground. The rest of the tree is not so good, as you pointed out. So I would be looking for an area that is/has been logged and the stumps remain. I would go in and cut them up into blocks and bring home to dry. So, if you have standing trees I won't cut them down just to get that 5+ feet of wood, unless you plan to use the rest of the tree for something else.
Thanks for your help tho. Hopefully someone out there has/knows of a recently logged areas that has some Tupleo and can hook me up.

Jane

8 to 12 inch trees I may have, but I will have to look. I don't remember seeing any Black Gum but we have almost every common hardwood that grows in the South.

If it was maple, dogwood, poplar, sycamore, cherry, walnut, persimmon, oak, sassafras, locust, hickory or beech I could take you straight to it.

Are you sure you want Black Gum?
The wood is very tough, cross-grained, hard to work, and warps easily. It can be used for containers, crossties, rough flooring and pulpwood. Black gum heartwood often rots, creating dens for wildlife, including black bears.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I walked over some of the more remote areas near the creeks and in the high hollows this weekend, I didn't see any gum trees bigger than 5-7 inches across. Any stumps would be 30 years old. Plenty of nice lighter pine stumps but the gum would be long gone by now.

Sorry I can't help with this one.

MT native

New User
Jane
Mike,
Thanks so much for your time and effort. I greatly appreciate it!!!

I walked over some of the more remote areas near the creeks and in the high hollows this weekend, I didn't see any gum trees bigger than 5-7 inches across. Any stumps would be 30 years old. Plenty of nice lighter pine stumps but the gum would be long gone by now.

Sorry I can't help with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS