need to clamp wood longer then I have clamps available

Status
Not open for further replies.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I need to clamp a couple of pieces of wood that are a total of 26" long. And my clamps are only 24" long. I have been woodworking for years and this is the first time I have ever needed a clamp that long, so I dont want to go out and buy a set of longer clamps for $40 or more. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get around this?? Thanks for any suggestions.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Make a few "Z" brackets out of scrap 2 x 4. Hook one leg of the "Z"s on the edges of your glue-up and clamp the other leg of th "Z"s. Because you are up from the panel a little, be sure to alternate the clamps top and bottom.

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
3/4" pipe clamps from Harbour Freight are cheap, decent quality, and you won't ever run into this problem again as you can make them as long as you want by joining different sets of galvanized pipe together.
Dave:)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I luv my pipe clamps from HF. you get the working ends, and buy any lenght of pipe from where ever. Thus you can have anysize clamp you want.

They are strong, and you can get allot of force behind them.

Only draw back is weight of pipe.

I have purchased other clamps form HF, but was not really impressed with them as the faces would deflect while putting pressure on them.
Didn't have this problem with the pipe clamps

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
How about these . . .

Attachments

• clamp.pdf
    49.4 KB · Views: 159
  • clamp1.gif
    clamp1.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 182

DavidF

New User
David
I woud go with Mike Davie's approach if it really is a one off or the pipe clamps if it might come up in the future. Any members near you would lend you a couple?

R

rickc

Might also consider hooking two clamps together. Place the top of the first at one end, the top of the second to the lower part of the first clamp. Then attach the bottom of the second one to the other end of the stock being glued. Tighten as needed.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Thanks for all the great ideas.... I'll check out the HF pipe clamps. I thought about that before I posted this but I just coudn't figure out where to buy the pipes. Can you buy them from the BORG??? And about lending one... I dont think there are any wood workers within miles of me. I know at one time there wasn't and current members in Davie County.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
but I just coudn't figure out where to buy the pipes. Can you buy them from the BORG???

Yes 3/4" threaded galvanized pipe is widely available at your local BORG. I have it in 4' lengths and a handfull of pipe couplers so if needed I can have 8' long clamps :icon_thum Only caution I can offer is that the galv. pipe will cause black stains on Oak and other woods, I place small pieces of 1/8" hardboard between the clamp pipe and the wood to avoid that issue.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I believe that I may have mis-spoke (mis-typed) I think that you want to use black pipe not galv. I remember reading where the glavanization material on the pipe can cause the clamp clutches to slip. But the staining from the pipes is still true with the black pipe.
Sorry, if I've screwed you up :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Lowe's will not thread black pipe...only galvanized. Not sure about HD. Unless you have access to a pipethreading machine that kinda forces the decision.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
i got my black pipe from lowes and they cut and threaded it for me. it was the one in apex

much cheaper to get the 10ft section and have them cut it down for you, otherwise price is almost double.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I believe that I may have mis-spoke (mis-typed) I think that you want to use black pipe not galv. I remember reading where the glavanization material on the pipe can cause the clamp clutches to slip. But the staining from the pipes is still true with the black pipe.
Sorry, if I've screwed you up :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Dave--------I have used both galvanized and black with equal success.:)

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Good to know, after I typed that out I thought about it and remembered that article not recommending galv. pipe. I would hate to give bad advice :oops: :oops:

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
I need to clamp a couple of pieces of wood that are a total of 26" long. And my clamps are only 24" long. I have been woodworking for years and this is the first time I have ever needed a clamp that long, so I dont want to go out and buy a set of longer clamps for $40 or more. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get around this?? Thanks for any suggestions.

Keep in mind that PVA (Yellow Glue) needs about 200 psi of force to get a full stength bond. Most home made clamping arrangement will not come any where close to enough pressure. A 3/4 black pipe clamp fully tightened down will exert about 1,000 psi so one clamp is required every 4-6 inches.

Best bet is to purchase or borrow some more clamps.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have had trouble with the galvanized. The teeth on the jaws slide on the soft zinc when you put a lot of pressure on it. (probably because they are cheap clamps). I bought black iron and have had no problems. I have a set of hand pipe dies, so was able to thread it myself. I have an assortment of 2' and 3' lengths and just join them with a union if i need long ones. If you have galvanized and a disk sander (4" or 6") you can knock off the galvanizing on the jaw side of the pipe and it will bite fine into the bare steel. Wax or rattle-can paint will keep it from rusting.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS