need to build a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
As many of you might know I'm a teacher and today one of the ladies that works here asked me to build the school a table to use for the spring formal for the 7th grade students. She wants something roughly 18-20 inches wide, 5 feet long, and about 45 inches or so high. I've been trying to think of a style to use but am having trouble. Anyone have idea ideas or pictures of something you've built similar? I don't want it to be to complicated I'm not going to have enough time to do something very fancy with it but don't want to build just an average table either. Would be nice to build them something that will be used for a decent amount of time. I know being used in a public school is going to be rough on it. Thanks for any help

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
May want to do a search on "sofa tables" to get some ideas. Probbly have to change a couple dimensuions but they should give you some ideas.

Go

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Dining tables are generally 32 inches high.

A standing bar type table might be 45. Is this a table to stand around? Even so, 32 may be more versatile.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
At 45", some of the students will be able to walk under the table. I don't think you really want to have it higher than a counter-top (35-36")'
I made my dining tables 30" high.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
School table.jpg
Can't get much simplier

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I have recently found out, industry standard high top (libation industry) is 42".

Dining tables are generally 32 inches high.

A standing bar type table might be 45. Is this a table to stand around? Even so, 32 may be more versatile.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K. not to be "that guy" but...

I agree with Jeff - "What is the function?"

Isn't a 20" wide table, 40+" high prone to be top heavy and possibly tip over?
(i.e. sofa table - if it is bumped into it will bounce off the sofa? :icon_scra)

[probably over thinking it...]

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
O.K. not to be "that guy" but...

I agree with Jeff - "What is the function?"

Isn't a 20" wide table, 40+" high prone to be top heavy and possibly tip over?
(i.e. sofa table - if it is bumped into it will bounce off the sofa? :icon_scra)

[probably over thinking it...]

A sofa table was usually placed between the back of the sofa and a wall. Difficult to tip over. Otherwise, you are correct.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A sofa table was usually placed between the back of the sofa and a wall. Difficult to tip over. Otherwise, you are correct.
O.K. - I am thinking kids, backpacks, sports equipment...

So in other words a never-ending commission! ha ha

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Might want to check to see what they are going to do with it afterwords, storage space is usually at a premium.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I got dimensions from my late wife one time for a dresser for my son. I built the dresser to her dimensions and she then thought it was too big. He didn't care so it got used and is currently being used by my step daughter - who loves the ample storage it provides.

But before starting to make sawdust, it would be good for the end user to understand what she will be getting. A cardboard mockup might even be in order.

But assuming they know what they want, Dutchmans sketch looks like a timeless design. If the budget permits hardwood that would be nice. If you have to keep it cheaper, you could make the legs of glued up construction lumber and the rest of shelving boards. I built a computer desk shaped very much like this that gave us good service. The only thing I should have done better is the attachment of the apron to the legs. I used biscuits and I wouldn't recommend that. If you don't do mortise and tenon, pocket screws would probably work. Also be careful about movement of the top - one side of the attachment needs to be in slotted holes.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
I started on the table today but I did talk to them at work today and changed the dimensions a bit, 24 inches wide, 40 inches tall, and 5 foot long. I glued up some figured maple for the top and cut out some 3x3 red oak for the legs, I'm doing a fairly simple design similar to what Dutchmans plans show. Hopefully with the flooding today and the 6 inches of snow we are supposed to get tonight I can have this project close to being done by the first of next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS