Need suggestions for repair of wooden porch deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Hello all.

I need some suggestions on the best way to handle something. A lady that I work with has asked me to do some minor repairs to the deck of her front porch. It is an older house and the boards are tongue and groove. A couple of years ago, somebody replaced some of the boards and they did not hold up well. They are starting to rot quite a bit and also have some buckling. I will need to replace about 10 or 11 of the boards.

I looked at Lowes to see what boards they had that would be a good replacement and they only had 1 that was a close match. It was a pine T&G with a face that is about 3.25” wide. It is not PT.

The current porch is painted, so the plan is to prime and paint the new boards to match. My main concern is the buckling that is likely to occur as the temps and humidity rise in the spring and summer. Is there anything I can do to lesson the chance of buckling? Since the boards are T&G, leaving a gap between boards is not going to look real good. But other than that, I don’t know what else to do. :confused: Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Prime,prime,paint paint; EVERY SURFACE back prime the poop outta them,ends also they should do fine. Original decks were straight grain fir, lasted many many years. dont gap em, put em in tight as they get.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Straight grain tongue and groove fir is the way to repair it and make it last. That is what the original decking likely was. I was always told not to paint the bottom side of fir decking, as any moisture in it needs a way to get out. Painting both sides will prevent this. If Fir can dry out after it gets wet it will last a long time.

Charley

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you can't find ACQ treated t & G look for some Penta - aka Pentachlorphenol - treated decking. It will be hard to find & will require painting with oil based paint, but is should last longer than the house.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
If you can't find ACQ treated t & G look for some Penta - aka Pentachlorphenol - treated decking. It will be hard to find & will require painting with oil based paint, but is should last longer than the house.

+1 on Penta treated wood. My screened-in porch was built with this in 1997 and nothing has rotted, warped, or sustained any other damage. The guy who built it for me got it at Home Depot, but I don't think they carry it any more (although they may be able to order it for you). Capitol City Lumber in Raleigh has it, so there may be a local vendor near you.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Is it feasible for you to make your own T&G on the table saw from S4S stock? If so, then fir, white oak, or cypress may be an option. The new wood is going to be primed and painted at the end of the day anyway.

Is the porch covered or largely covered to protect it from the elements? Can you tell what species the faulty boards were made from? Poor wood choice to begin with or poor surface prep or both? :confused:

Maybe some helpful advice here:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/library/coatings/finishingwooddecks.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS