Need some helping hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgberry

New User
Matt
I have recently purchased a 1912 18" Crescent Planer to add to my workshop. The long and the short of it is Im looking for some help. Here are some the pics....I got to admit I do drool every time I see them!

IMG_9840.jpg

IMG_9844.jpg

I have been trying to figure out the best way to get it from the freight terminal in Raleigh to my house (Falls Lake Area) and into the garage. I was hoping that I could get some extra hands and possible a small utility trailer from anyone that would be willing to help out. The size of the crate is (56" x 50" x 47" @1400 lbs). I have a 3/4 ton pickup truck, so we should be set on pulling it.

The shipping company said that it should arrive by Thursday and could pick it up Friday morning. This of course is subject to change and based on how some of these companies operate, you just never know.

I would love to tell you that I have a whole shop full of these types of machines to come and see, but may be some day!

Matt
Raleigh, NC

T

tmwassack

Hey Matt,
I see you bought Shane Whitlock's planer. Great catch, he does a great job restoring (and using) his vintage machinery. The shipping from Utah must have been prohibitive! Good luck with getting it from the shipping terminal to your shop. I hope it arrives unscathed! My recommendation for transport to your shop would be to hire a wrecker company with a roll-back. Load it onto the roll-back and at your place, have it off-loaded into your shop. 1400 lbs. is a load to get from a trailer to the shop floor. I have transported and unloaded several vintage pieces, including a Beach mortiser, Powermatic planer, Ekstrom-Carlson sanders, etc., and have used a neighbors fork equipped SkidSteer for unloading.

Regards,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Wish I could help, but to far for me. Hope you will post up some photos of the transit and delivery. Definitely would love to see a video of it running.

Moving it. Thee are multiple threads over at OWWM.org on moving heavy arn. I seem to recall something about renting a trailer with a movable or tilting deck. Sort of a lowboy configuration.

Good luck.

mgberry

New User
Matt
Good catch Tom. Shane has done some amazing work over the years. I ended up falling into this deal in search of some other items. Transaction worked out great so far...except for the shipping costs! The machine was fully crated, so I hope that will hold up any on/off loads between trucks. I never thought of trying to use a roll back for transport. Sounds like a good plan. Shane placed the machine onto the pallet with a cherry picker and didn't seem to have any problems. I may end up renting something from Sun Belt if I get into a bind.

On another note...I picked up my Rotary Phase Converter today and had no idea that it weighed a couple hundred pounds. I ended up with a 7.5 HP Reliance Motor (Division of Baldor) and was shocked how large the motor was.

Ill get a video as soon as I get the planer fired up!

Matt

Sully

New User
jay
A shop crane would fairly easily move that off a truck or trailer to ground level. Most of them are rated 1.5-3 tons. If you were closer by I would offer to loan you mine. My advice: go ahead and bite the bullet and buy one. They are so useful it's hard to imagine getting by with out one, especially if you are into old iron.

BTW, as soon as I saw that picture I said to myself that looks like a Whitlock job. Congrats! It's a beautiful machine.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
From the pick up / trailer to the ground, find / rent a two ton motor hoist. Use nylon straps instead of chains. Roll skid around in shop on pieces of steel pipe. Ask Scott Smith to just run over with his back hoe. The roll back idea allows you pick it up at terminal, and have it unloaded in your garage. That's the way mechanics move their tool boxes.

BWSmith

New User
BW
Gorgeous machine....am sure you'll get lots of use with it.

In order of magnitude,which wholly depends on how much you expect to be moving heavy iron/stuff in the future.

1-Rollback or extend boom wrecker

2-Engine crane(cherry picker)

3-Gantry/hoist(back trailer or truck under,lift,remove vehicle,lower load)

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Matt,

That machine looks great! My 12" Oliver jointer was delivered on a roll back truck and that worked out well. The driver was able to get a corner of the bed onto the shop floor. The crate was long so we put one pallet jack on each end and rolled it in. Then, I invited 3 of my strongest friends to come and help get it off the pallet and set in place. Good luck.

bobby g

mgberry

New User
Matt
I wanted to run an idea by you guys. I have a very large steel I-Beam that runs through the center of my garage to carry the load for the floors above. I'll see if I can post a picture of it this evening. When I finished out the garage I intentionally did not sheet rock over it with the idea that I could hang a 1-ton chain joist to it. This seems like the perfect opportunity to test that idea. Any thoughts?

Matt

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Matt -

That would work, however:

1. Measure the I beam carefully, including the spans
2. Consult load tables like this one to determine how much total load the beam can carry at the center of the span you want to use. Use the values for the lowest grade of steel to be conservative
3. Carefully consider the load your building is already placing on the beam/columns.

If the "leftover" capacity of the beam exceeds the load you want to put on it by at least a factor of two, then I would say you could try it **carefully**!

If in doubt at all, consult a professional engineer - it's not worth pulling your house down!

C.

mgberry

New User
Matt
Based on the feedback from this thread and what I have read on the OWWM site. It appears that a roll-back would be the best approach. Rather than go down the list of tow companies or others, anyone have a good lead on a company to use?

Matt

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Or... you could just find someone that has one of these:

truck.jpg

It has a 2200lb lift gate that doubles as a dock plate so that it can back up to a freight terminal dock. And, it holds a 2200lb capacity electric pallet stacker that could probably move the whole machine, as long as it is on a standard 48" wide pallet.

If it's not on a useable pallet, the cherry picker idea would work for your end of the trip; I think they are easily rented.

Now if we could JUST figure out who in the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area has one.

:gar-Bi

Feel free to PM me; I think we can hook you up for fuel cost. (Prepare to take a deep breath on fuel costs; she's a thirsty beast, with two stomachs!)

Kevin

Jim Roche

jim
User
Hey Matt,
Congratulations on your purchase! That is so funny, I was looking at that planer and thought "Wow, that looks really familiar." then I saw the floor of the shop and knew it was Shane's! Tom is right, he does some unbelievable restorations. Enjoy that planer. :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS