Need some advice on surface defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I have a couple of boards which I am not sure what species they are. I am guessing either Walnut or very old cedar. I threw some mineral spirits on them and took a picture:

DSC005051.JPG

These boards have a lot of surface checks, knots, and wormholes, but the checks are by far what I am most concerned about.

This wood has a lot of sentimental value and I want to be able to use it for an upcoming project (a small jewelry box). What can I do about the checks and any other defects? Anything??

-Marco

J

jeff...

I have a couple of boards which I am not sure what species they are. I am guessing either Walnut or very old cedar. I threw some mineral spirits on them and took a picture:

DSC005051.JPG

These boards have a lot of surface checks, knots, and wormholes, but the checks are by far what I am most concerned about.

This wood has a lot of sentimental value and I want to be able to use it for an upcoming project (a small jewelry box). What can I do about the checks and any other defects? Anything??

-Marco

Fill em with CA glue and sawdust - BTW I think that is sweet gum heartwood you got there - I can't be sure though, do you you have any clearer pictures?

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Marco, great to hear from you again! I agree with Jeff, and will throw a shellac/sanding dust mix into the ring. The only advantage to this concoction is that it will take a stain/colored finish a little better.
Dave:)

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Jeff,

Here are some more pics of the boards without the mineral spirits. I hadn't even considered Gum. The grain patter,/heartwood color looked like cedar to me, but the shavings from the planer were dark brown like walnut.
Liz_s_wood_1.jpg
Liz_s_wood_2.jpg
Liz_s_wood_3.jpg
Liz_s_wood_4.jpg
Liz_s_wood_5.jpg

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Glad to be back DaveO. I also have a tool gloat coming, and in a month or so a new shop coming. I have missed woodworking after my year hiatus, so I am glad to be back into the swing of things.

With the shellac/sawdust mixture, will it take an oil finish any better than the CA glue mixture? Also, should I fill the knots with epoxy, or will CA do ok for that as well?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Shore do look a whole lot like the liquidamber I got from Jeff..., so I'll second his eagle eye. Gum ranges from lovely to nasty with every conceivable gradation between. But when it's purty, it's real purty.

(Why can't I type liquidamber without thinking about George Dickel?)

J

jeff...

Well after you posted those last pics - now I'm clueless - dark brown shavings... both Walnut and cedar have very distinct smells - where as gum or maple don't smell much at all. I see it's closed grain so oak / ash / locust / hackberry are out of the picture... Only species I know that's dark like that is walnut, gum and poplar although poplar heart is usally green. Although I have seen mineral streak maple that dark but I really don't think it's maple. Could be beech how hard is it and what did it smell like coming off the planer?

Thanks

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I go t these two boards while walking through the woods with my girlfriend when we first started dating. There used to be an old shack back in the woods that I thought was cool, so I was going to show her.

When we got there it had been torn down, and there was tons of decent old pine, but most of it was in the form of beams that were too big/heavy to carry. But these two boards were laying there and looked way different than the rest. We picked them up and carried them home.

I promised her I would make her something out of them, but then it was forgotten about with life being so hectic. Well, I was cleaning out/ organizing the shop recently and found them, and I was thinking it would be great to make a small jewelry box out of it to put her ring in when I eventually propose. So I really hope I don't do something to mess them up!!!

J

jeff...

I go t these two boards while walking through the woods with my girlfriend when we first started dating. There used to be an old shack back in the woods that I thought was cool, so I was going to show her.

When we got there it had been torn down, and there was tons of decent old pine, but most of it was in the form of beams that were too big/heavy to carry. But these two boards were laying there and looked way different than the rest. We picked them up and carried them home.

I promised her I would make her something out of them, but then it was forgotten about with life being so hectic. Well, I was cleaning out/ organizing the shop recently and found them, and I was thinking it would be great to make a small jewelry box out of it to put her ring in when I eventually propose. So I really hope I don't do something to mess them up!!!

oh well now it's easy to identify - just call it love wood :eusa_whis

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Glad to be back DaveO. I also have a tool gloat coming, and in a month or so a new shop coming. I have missed woodworking after my year hiatus, so I am glad to be back into the swing of things.

With the shellac/sawdust mixture, will it take an oil finish any better than the CA glue mixture? Also, should I fill the knots with epoxy, or will CA do ok for that as well?

Marco, we are glad to have you back too.
The CA/dust mixture becomes plastic, and doesn't absorb anything. It is great for a poly, lacquer or other film finish. Shellac/dust mixture can take up penetrating finishes better and it will work well with stains etc.
I would use epoxy if the voids in the knot are large. Thin or medium CA if they are small and tight.
Dave:)

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Shore do look a whole lot like the liquidamber I got from Jeff..., so I'll second his eagle eye. Gum ranges from lovely to nasty with every conceivable gradation between. But when it's purty, it's real purty.

(Why can't I type liquidamber without thinking about George Dickel?)

After a night out drinking, the LAST thing I want to hear is the name Dickel :slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors