Need small clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Just received an order of 50 small spring clamps from a company called Micro-Mark. The clamps are terrific - the jaws even swivel. I ordered from this company before and their offerings are unusual, clever, and inexpensive. I paid $19.95 for these beauties. If you could use some click here.

Here's the clamp.

IMG_0961_0822.JPG

Here's the clamp in action.

IMG_0962_0823.JPG

Their catalog is worth skimming through.

Ernie

M

McRabbet

My sister gave me a box of 20 spring clamps similar in appearance to these last year that she bought at one of those "National Guard Armory" sales (Cummins Industrial Tools) -- The first time I used them, five of the first six I took out of the box SHATTERED when I clamped them on a small glue joint! I hope you have better luck with yours!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Rob,

I've already tried some of them - so far, so good. No broken clamps.

Ernie

T

toolferone

I have many that size. Most are in the kitchen doing 'chip clip" duty.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Mine are on the way!

I might not be able to afford another big tool like he who shall not be named (SCOTT SMITH) since I bought a heat pump, but at least I can get a few multi-colored clamps!

Glennbear

Glenn
Cool clamps for holding your key covers, definitely more colorful than the recycled medical forceps I use for delicate work :gar-La;

Badabing

New User
Joe
Thanks for the info Ernie! I had a similar problem to what Rob described, several of the small clamps I purchased simply disintegrated on first use :dontknow: However, there were so many in the package that I still have plenty left that work.

Tom, great idea for chip bags! I usually eat all of them though so no need to reclose the bag :rotflm:

Glenn, where do you get the recycled medical clamps? I bet those work great and I'd like to get a few myself...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had some similar to these that had a release on them for clamping. If the jaws are like the ones I had they come off if you use them for lateral tensioning. I had them clamped to the pool cover to pull it across the pool with a rope & the jaw faces would pop off most of the time :thumbs_do - but they're great for small clamping jobs....... and at that price a real bargain.:thumbs_up

JohnW

New User
John
Hey Ernie,
Check out these small clamps. Woodcraft will put these on special now & then. A whole tube filled with 10-1" & 10-2" spring clamps with swivel heads and very good quality for what they are. All for 5 bucks. Perfect for this type of work. Used the all a bunch of times with no breakage.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hey Ernie,
Check out these small clamps. Woodcraft will put these on special now & then. A whole tube filled with 10-1" & 10-2" spring clamps with swivel heads and very good quality for what they are. All for 5 bucks. Perfect for this type of work. Used the all a bunch of times with no breakage.

John,

Those clamps look really nice - the guitar body looks even nicer. Do you buy the wood pre-bent or do you bend it yourself?

Ernie

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I have many that size. Most are in the kitchen doing 'chip clip" duty.
Never thought about using them as chip clips... not a bad idea. LOML bought me a bag from Blue Big Box, I've got about half left. I alway try to push the limit of everything and broke a bunch before they went to light duty. Nice score Erine, Jim

JohnW

New User
John
Ernie,
The sides shown here were bought pre-bent from Martin. I have since tried bending using an iron (round) and it's not too difficult. But there was a "learning curve" involved. :BangHead: And I choose wood that was a known "easy bender".

Once close to the desired shape, I use a mold similar to the one in this pic. It's cork lined and by using shaped blocks (cut-offs from making the mold) and turn-buckles, you can push, force, and gently nudge the sides to the desired final shape.

I'm fortunate as my BIL is an accomplished luthier (violin, viola & cello) and also a good teacher. He has no interest in acoustic guitars..and I have little interest in his squeaky instruments, :gar-Bi but there is enough cross over in building techniques to have been a big help to me.

Maybe someday we can hold a harpsichord/guitar ho-down.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Once close to the desired shape, I use a mold similar to the one in this pic. It's cork lined and by using shaped blocks (cut-offs from making the mold) and turn-buckles, you can push, force, and gently nudge the sides to the desired final shape.

John,

Forgive my ignorance (something I have in great supply) but what keeps the sides from springing back when the mold is removed?

Ernie

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for the info Ernie! I had a similar problem to what Rob described, several of the small clamps I purchased simply disintegrated on first use :dontknow: However, there were so many in the package that I still have plenty left that work.

Tom, great idea for chip bags! I usually eat all of them though so no need to reclose the bag :rotflm:

Glenn, where do you get the recycled medical clamps? I bet those work great and I'd like to get a few myself...

Unfortunately Joe I cannot offer a source of supply, I saved a bunch of orthopedic surgeon's tools from the landfill when they were donated to a college I worked at and the college had no use for them. Ortho tools are very handy around the shop since wood and bone both work about the same when using surgical chisels, rasps, saws etc. Perhaps Bonecarver or Monty have some sources for used instruments. :wsmile:

PS - The link that ernie posted has surgical tools under the "specialty tools" category :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS