Need plumbing help ASAP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
The black pipe that comes from the water meter into my house has a leak. I have spent all afternoon digging to find the leak. I finally found the pipe and the location of the leak.

My question is, what is the best way to fix this type of pipe? Its about 1 inch in diameter and is black.

Thanks!!
Bill

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the leak is a hole in the pipe, it can be cut and a coupling installed. They are available in plastic and galvanized and push into the pipe with clamps (preferably 4 per coupling) applied. Also available are saddle clamps that wrap around the pipe and clamp the leak. They are a little more pricey, but are easier to install as the pipe doesn't need to be cut. If it's a linear split, you'll need to get 2 couplings and some more pipe & clamps.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
If the leak is a hole in the pipe, it can be cut and a coupling installed. They are available in plastic and galvanized and push into the pipe with clamps (preferably 4 per coupling) applied. Also available are saddle clamps that wrap around the pipe and clamp the leak. They are a little more pricey, but are easier to install as the pipe doesn't need to be cut. If it's a linear split, you'll need to get 2 couplings and some more pipe & clamps.

I really like the sound of not having to cut the pipe. The leak appears to be a small hole, but I need to turn the water back on the get a better look. My water meter is hard to reach and I dont have one of the tools so I have having to reach in with an adjustable wrench to turn the water on and off. Right now its almost off, but there is still a tiny spray coming up from the pipe.

If nothing else, I can use the saddle clamps to get me back in business tonight and them I can address it better tomorrow when I have more time.

Thanks!!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
If you have a hole/leak, and the pipe is not copper- it is likely because the pipe has rusted through, either from the outside in or inside out. In any case, if it has one hole it is likely the pipe wall is thin in other areas and another hole will appear sooner or later. Be careful if you use a clamp for a temporary fix you could collapse the pipe!

Black iron or galvanized steel pipe is not generally used any more for water pipe. The best recommendation is replace the entire length of pipe with copper. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, call a plumber. He will shut the water off at the curb and should be able to do the necessary work in about an hour or less, especially if you have already exposed the pipe at the leak.

If the line from the street is iron or steel too, then you might consider replacing that as well. It is not a question if it will fail, but when it will fail.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
The pipe is black plastic. I think it is poly.

I couldn't find a proper saddle clamp, but I found something close just not the right size. I put it on just to get me through the night and we can shower in the morning. I read that that black poly pipe is not very strong so a saddle clamp might not be the best choice. I also picked up a coupling and some clamps to make a proper repair when I get the chance.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The pipe is black plastic. I think it is poly.

I couldn't find a proper saddle clamp, but I found something close just not the right size. I put it on just to get me through the night and we can shower in the morning. I read that that black poly pipe is not very strong so a saddle clamp might not be the best choice. I also picked up a coupling and some clamps to make a proper repair when I get the chance.

If it is on the gray side of black it is likely polybutylene which has been the source of prior lawsuits. Here is everything you never wanted to know and more about plastic piping and failures associated with each type.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
IF it is ABS just take another pc split it in half and glue that pc over the damaged section, use fine 220 paper scuff it good, prime it, prime it again, BOTH pcs, apply glue squeeze em to gether hold em fer bout 2 mins good to go. OY YEAH TURN THE WATER OFF :{:{

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I assumed in my initial reply that the pipe was PE plastic. This is the most common method of water supply in the region as it is sold in 100' rolls and requires very little prep to install. The down side to the pipe is that if installed in rocky soils it will in time abrade when in contact with said rock(s). Black steel pipe is not permitted by code for this application. ABS pipe is rarely used as water supply, but often for sewer lines, although it has lost its popularity to PVC. Having said all that, many plumbers do use the 60 psi version of this pipe in lieu of the 120 psi version which has thicker walls. It is far mor prone to failures and should be replaced entirely if leaks begin to occur.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Been there and done that a few years ago about 2.5 feet deep. Well worth the $ spend for a plumber fix and peace of mind. Many plumbers in my area use high pressure PEX (don't recall whether it's white or grayish) and compression fittings with the proper tools to match.

BTW, the BORGS have water meter T-handles for a few bucks. Maybe a one time investment that you'll never need again. ;)

ACobra289

New User
Bill
UPDATE:

I repaired it today. I used a brass coupling with 2 clamps on each end. So far I have not noticed any leaking. I will leave it open for a few days to make sure before I cover it back up.

When I first noticed the leak I called a plumber and asked for a rough estimate. He said $400 to $500 depending on how far down the pipe was. I can understand why they charge so much. Digging that wet red clay was NOT fun.

Oh I did pick up one of the water meter T-handles last night when I was buying supplies. Wouldn't you know it, the little thing it goes on to turn the water on and off is canted somewhat and off to the side of the hole. So even with the tool it was kind of hard to turn the water off and on. I'll probably still keep it since I don't like sticking my hand down in that hole.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS