Need inexpensive windows for tree fort

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Hi all,
I've decided to build a 12 x 8 treefort for the kids in the backyard. I'd like to put in a few windows for lights and ventilation, something around 2x2 or so. Does anyone have an idea where I can purchase these windows inexpensively? They don't need to be insulated, etc. as the rest of the fort will not be.

I'm also looking to put a metal roof on it, so any suggestions as to who might carry that would be appreciated as well!

Thanks!
Gonzalo 0523031201b.jpg

nn4jw

New User
Jim
You might be able to find something you can use at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore at 181 High House Rd there in Cary.

thsb

New User
Tim
the habitat store is a good idea. for the roof, i wish i had a little more-i have two long pieces of green metal roofing but i think that would only get you two sides.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Being as these windows are subject to accidential contact, they should be tempered glass, or polycarbonate. Lexan is GE's trade mark name for theirs.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Check Craigslist folks are often remodeling or cleaning out storage buildings selling off bits and pieces of windows and roofing

FlyingRon

Ron
Just check in to the Restore from time to time. I'm always amazed at what they have and frankly they have taken just about everything I've taken to them with a smile.

bholcombe

New User
Ben
On the playhouse I built for my kids about five years ago, I have all lexan windows that I made myself. Just routed the slots in what otherwise looks sort of like a cabinet door, used the lexan caulking to hold it in and none of them have broken. I think the window frames are made of poplar. My kids actually just hit the middle of the windows to open them frequently since they swing out on the hinges (magnetic catch to hold shut), they've been amazingly durable. Frames will flex some, but none have cracked or come apart. I would never go back and swap these out with glass, they would have broken so many times by now if they were glass.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
You might consider no windows. A little box like that will heat up pretty fast with all the windows closed. That's assuming you install windows that can open.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Thanks to everyone for some great ideas and tips. We did go out to the habitat store this morning, but they didn't have anything in the size we wanted. I've considered just making my own with lexam and Ben described above, or just leaving the top foot or so open on all sides, like a more traditional fort as Jeff mentioned. I'll dabble with some drawings and see what looks the best.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for some great ideas and tips. We did go out to the habitat store this morning, but they didn't have anything in the size we wanted. I've considered just making my own with lexam and Ben described above, or just leaving the top foot or so open on all sides, like a more traditional fort as Jeff mentioned. I'll dabble with some drawings and see what looks the best.

The draw back with leaving the tops open is it allows easy access for bugs. The ones I would worry the most about would be wasps. Just keep that in mind.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
When I built a play house for my Grandbaby, I used single hung windows from a mobile home supply house. They have a range of sizes,are reasonably priced and have insect screens. They worked just fine. Be sure to provide cross ventilation to keep the temperature reasonable.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been looking but have not found any normal windows, but every tree house needs a picture window. Today I found a piece of 1/4 tempered glass that is approx 48 x 48 and can be yours free - best I could do :)

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
I have been looking but have not found any normal windows, but every tree house needs a picture window. Today I found a piece of 1/4 tempered glass that is approx 48 x 48 and can be yours free - best I could do :)

Phil, sorry for the late response. I appreciate the effort, but think I am going to use either mobile home storm windows or leave it open all the way around like a traditional fort.
Thanks again!
Gonzalo

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Gonzalo,

An afterthought to your original post and all of the helpful advice from our members.

Ok, leave it open but the kids and friends want to have a sleep out and rain or snow is coming. :eek:

How about closable shutters of some sort when needed? Twin vertical shutters or a single "Outer Banks" style that's hinged at the top and opens out on the bottom?

A +/- 0.02 thought to consider.

AdamO

Update your profile with your name
User
I did open windows for my kids' treehouse and haven't regretted it. I put some shutters on the front with some cutouts, but the side windows don't really get any rain in them with the covers and sides I did. I've been meaning to put screens on there for the bugs, but who really wants to sleep out there when it's hot and buggy anyway? I kept the upper windows pretty small, but they probably should have been even smaller so little ones that visit don't make me nervous.

DSC_0262.jpg
Slide.jpg
DSC_0256.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS