Need help with a belt sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty62

New User
Dick
I picked up a Craftsman 6" x 48" belt sander from a guy that said it was no good because the belt wouldn't stay on it. I thought the guy just didn't know how to adjust it, but I've had the same problem. I've had several sanders over the years, but none of them gave me fits like this one. No matter how delicate you move the adjusting screws the belt will take off for one side or the other. You can fiddle with it until it settles down for a minute, but as soon as you try to sand with it, the belt will take off for parts unknown! I've changed belts twice, but no help.:thumbs_do I've read the manual back and forward and I don't see what else I can do to it. I'm beginning to think it's a manufacturing defect, but I hate to give up on it. Ideas would be appreciated.:icon_scra Thanks,
Dick

gator

George
Corporate Member
I have a Craftsman 6 x 48 that was given to me also and it also does the same thing. I just let it go to the inside til it cut a small groove in the end guard and the groove holds it from going any further. Better this way than not having one at all.

George

Dragon

New User
David
Wonder if there's a recall/repair option? Might be worth calling to find out. Could it be that the adjusting wheel is not exactly square? Might want to check and be sure the surface is parallel and not slightly convex. Just throwing out ideas for consideration............:dontknow:

woodnick

New User
Nick
Actually the idler pulley needs to be convex. Take some masking tape and put a few wraps around the middle of the drum and the belt will track to the high part of the drum.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I got one too and it did the same. I got it tuned a lot better but it is still finicky.

The tape helps, but too much will make the belt stretch in the middle and not sand smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS