need help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I need to move a small building. It's one of those portable buildings and it was moved in there, so it should come out...

I know they had to take down part of the fence and probably had a low trailer. I need some engineering help as well as a dozen strong backs and a tractor or truck and trailer.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'll be glad to come help. I've got a large pic-em-up, but no trailer. If no one else has a tractor they can get there easily, I'll see if I can borrow a friends trailer and bring my tractor. Let me know when and where.

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think Saturday the 18th will give us enough time to get things together. I will take the ladder down and start taking down the fence.

We only need to move the building about 40 feet.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Sounds good. I'll see about borrowing the trailer and bringing my tractor, just in case you need it. Can you PM me w/ directions to your place?

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sent,

Thanks Bill.

Mark, appreciate the offer but that is a long way to go and you have your hands full already.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
On closer inspection and after talking to the neighbor I may tear down this shed and build a new one.

The previous owner built it in place with rough cut pine. It is full of powder post beetles and it may not survive moving.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Here is the shed I need moved or dismantled.

IMG_0490R.jpg

Not sure what to do at this point. If we can move it and I can get it treated for the beetles then It may last several years.

My neighbor has an 80 HP 4WD tractor that will drag it. I would need some runners and the fence has to come down.

What do you think?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Tough to say, Mike. When you push against the outside, can you make it wobble? If so, I doubt if it would survive the move. How sturdy are the floor joist? Do the walls have diagonal supports attached on the inside? Looks like the 1x's are just nailed to the studs. If that's the case, I would be afraid to move it.

If you still need help Saturday, just let me know. I'll be there. I'm assuming since your neighbor has a tractor, you don't need me to bring mine?

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Bill,

I'm going to think about this a little more. Probably won't do anything for a month or so.

I need to look at all the options and costs.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you decide to drag it, I would suggest putting diagonal 1 x 6's from top front to bottom back screwed to the inside studs. Also put a 2 x runner across the skids at the back and diagonally brace the skids to keep them parallel, but more importantly, to keep one from leading the other when turning. This should give even pressure to the base to move it and the diagonals will keep the top from rocking back when starting the pull.

However, we moved one for my nephew last year (2 miles) that did not look in much better shape (but also not as tall) by putting 2 x 8's long-wise under it, two more nailed across at front and back, making a sled, and using 2" pipe and ramps, winched it onto a flat bed trailer. First step was pipes under shed (and two or more for adding as we moved it), then slid in 2 x8 s front to back on top of pipes. Jacked up shed and removed blocks and then lowered onto 2 x 8's. Then screwed front and back 2 x 8s down and then started winching it forward, up ramps and onto trailer. It helps if the ramp boards are offset to the 2 x 8's, as it allows you to get a pipe under them when starting it up the ramp. To connect to winch cable, we used heavy cargo straps that ran across the across the top of the longitudinal 2x8s, and under the cross tie ones. The worst part was when the front of the skid 2 x8s got up to the trailer, and we used the spare pipes that had rolled out to lever it up enough to clear the back of the trailer. Getting it off is a bit of excitement in itself, We dragged it using a second truck until we got the back edge on blocks, and then slowly pulled the trailer out from under it. Ramps must be attached to trailer for this to work.

Hope that made sense to you. Don't know if that shed's base will take that strain tho, (the one we moved had a fairly solid floor) as the 2 x8s do flex. If the ground is flat, I would drag it, either on the ground or using pipes to roll it.

Just some ideas to ponder.

Go

PS: While we were moving this trailer, I was wishing I had all the short 4 x 4's, 6 x 6s that we used to block up boats and trailers when working on them in FL. Lots easier to jack up and block, slide trailer underneath, and then reverse process at destination. For something as light as this shed, you could probably get by with concrete blocks and a couple of 5 ton bottle jacks. Wood is much safer as concrete blocks can shatter if something drops on them. Just make sure the "piers" are wider at the bottom, and are not just one block stacked on another. They need to crisscross, so that means at least 2 blocks for all but the top layer. The jacks have to be able to lift it higher than the thickness of the blocking material. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but have BTDT, and have cussed the need for 2 jacks and a stack of 2 x 4 scraps to get something up that last couple inches.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mike, from reading Mark's comments, you may end up investing more in materials to move the shed than it would cost to build a new one. :gar-Cr

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That was my first thought after I had a chance to look at it closely.

Now, I'm thinking about a block building with a tin roof and double steel doors to protect the lawn equipment.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Material price to move it if bought new would be around $100. New 8x8 eight foot tall with tin roof shed will run at least $1000. Of course, I do not know how much the manpower costs would be. Some guys can drink a lot of beer!!

Go

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Mike,

I had to move a building across my property a few years back and was worried about it surviving since it didn't have much of a floor but it made it OK. http://www.artcentergraphics.com/remodel4.htm It's now my stained glass studio. I jacked up a corner and put fence posts under it. It took only 2 of us to push it and we just kept adding posts like the Egyptians. I had the posts laying around so it didn't cost me a thing. (Not counting the 12-pack Tom and I demolished after that 'thirsty' work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS