Need help making a massage tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hues24

New User
hues24
I work for a Spa and have been wanting to make a specific massage tool made out of a wood (cedar maybe) that can handle some heat (think Sauna). Can someone recommend a woodworker near Raleigh or Pinehurst that could consult and help build a few prototypes. I've had an idea in mind forever, like a hot stone massage but with better tools (Made ergonomically out of wood). Looking to eventually to use the tool in our spa and also market the tool.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well a massage tool could mean lots of things - I'm with Jeff, more info please

"the internet is not a luxury, it's a necessity." Barack Hussein Obama II - 15 July 2015

Hues24

New User
hues24
Thank you for the responses, Think of a thin football. So a cylinder that is tapered down ending in a hemisphere (fancy 3d talk). I know the sketch shows the ends coming to a point, In actuality it would be a rounded 2" knob.:thumbs_up massage tool.png
I'm clueless and curious again. :dontknow:

What is this massage tool and how is it used? Is there a picture or sketch available?

So the new and improved design will be made of wood instead of...hot stone. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXAZyC9inF4

Hues24

New User
hues24
It is used with massage. They do a Bamboo massage with Bamboo sticks, I have been thinking about this design for years. I like cedar because of the aesthetic look and the good property's of cedar essential oil.

JonB

Jon
User
Looks like what you're after is a funky shaped rolling pin, that could be turned on a lathe. Would need a 5" x 5" x 16" to 18" piece of wood, you'd have to check around lumber mills or possibly WoodCraft for it. Cedar is light weight but tends to crack when it dries so you have to make sure there is no pith. Would be simple enough to turn, I would assume you just want it sanded, no finish. I could do it but I'm in Durham.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have an 8 inch cedar log about 4 feet long that was cut 8 years ago. May have some checking but no major splits.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
From my experience working on saunas, cypress would be a better choice, unless you want to spring for some teak. Because it's the same along centers both ways, it would be easy to make after making a quarter pattern, and a dupli-carver

Hues24

New User
hues24
Thank you mike, What do you think about cypress and or teak, I would like to use wood that is native if possible though. That cedar log you have could be perfect, could you quote me a price for two or three prototypes. I was thinking I would like to make a few with different dimensions. That way I could see how they would work and what we could change. Thanks, Dustin

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Is this close to your "football" design? It's 12" long and can be refined easily (the knob handles can be rounded at each end).

massage_tool.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just a quick endorsement. Mike Davis will do a good job - the best he can - and that is very good. And most importantly, will treat you fairly. Just my humble opinion.

Ray Morgan

Ray
Corporate Member
Just a quick thought. Any wood product used in a sauna needs to be free of knots. Besides sap the knots hold heat at a much higher temp than clear wood. Sure that all involved know this but better safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents. Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS