Need advice on propane tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am planning to put a 120gal propane tank next to the house for running a gas fireplace and gas grill. In time I might run a line to the new shop. Anyway I have been searching on-line to see how far away from the heat pump, electrical box, windows, crawl space vent, etc the tank must be. So far I have had no success. Anyone know the answers or where I can find them?

Thanks

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Whichever supplier you select should be able to tell you all those details. They will install the tank and retain ownership, at least that's the way mine works. I have a 1,000 gl. underground tank that's about 100 feet from my house.

Our supplier is Amerigas and I am NOT very satisfied w/ their service. We are on the automatic refill program and they have let us run out five times in the past eight years. If I had it to do over I would talk to a Southern States Cooperative. I have no affiliation w/ them but have heard good things about their service.

Bill

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Might be able to contact your county building inspection department for that info.
A lot of towns, counties, etc. are going with NFPA (National Fired Protection Association) standards as their adopted code on those type things.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
+1 what Bill said...

I have a 550 gal tank provided by the supplier. We have been here for 17 years and they never let us run out. When I built my garage/shop, they brought the new underground tank and waited for us to dig a hole and bury it. Then they came back to disconnect the old above ground tank, pump the gas from it to the new one and reconnect everything! Price? $0.00.

I don't know if they service the north side but let me know if you want the contact info.

Good luck,

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Around here (in Wayne Cy), a 120 can go almost anywhere. My MIL's is 3 feet from her back door and next to the crawl space entry and bathroom window. My 250, however, had to be 25 ft from the house. She also has Southern States and is very happy with them.

Biggest thing is for it to be accessible to the guy servicing it. Inside a locked fence, or one with a "Beware of Dog" sign will many times have them knock once on the door and then leave, even if gate is unlocked and dog inside (neighbor has that problem).

Go

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
120 gal. tank above ground has no restrictions to where it can be placed and by what! Why would u need restrictions tho? unless it leaks and i wouldn't want it 300 yards from my house?:rotflm:

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
Just make sure if you use the yellow flex gas lines, you ground it so it don't get multi million-meter holes if hit by lightening. Is code that a lot of subs forget to do!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Scott I'd strongly suggest you check with your county building inspector. Get the right information up front! Work with your expected fuel company as well.

I have an above ground 120 and moved it from 10 feet from when we moved in to about 20 feet from the house to get it outside the fence. Since we bought the tank and don't pay an annual rental fee, we don't get a discounted price on fuel. There are a variety of code restrictions and your county inspector will have your requirements.

Above ground, anchoring, below ground, burms, utilities, - there are many variables.
Mother has an above ground 1000 gallon tank with a burm that enabled hers to be 75' from the house instead of 150'.

When mother built, her contractor put in a tank that the local company refused to add to her service contract. Initially we were under the impression it was a contract deal, but the tank had not passed a visual inspection and although newly installed and never used was actually not a "brand new" tank. Hydrostatic testing etc has to be done on any pressure cylinder every so many years, visual internal inspections, etc etc etc.
The tank also couldn't be moved since it wasn't empty, and you guessed it - they couldn't empty the tank since it wasn't inspected, and since it wasn't inspected they couldn't connect it and use the fuel in it. Good grief, always something right? They finally made it right but, who'd have thought it would be such an issue.

dlrion

New User
Dan
The Propane Company here owns my tank, I wouldn't have it any other way!

They take care of all the problems associated with it, and I have never had my propane run out.

They also let you have the tank for free if you use above a certain amount of gas every year.

Dan

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Scott - when I had my 120 set for the shop, I was advised that it could be placed right next to the building. If I recall, they told me that I did not have to have a separation for up to a 120.

Bear in mind - this is Virginia. Your local gas supplier (we use Southern States) will be able to advise you on the local regulations.

FlyingRon

Ron
I got a 1000 gallon underground which is way overkill it turns out. I've never filled it in two years. But as other's pointed out, they will site it for you (if you have opinions as to where you want it, it behooves you to be there). I actually bought mine outright.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to all that replied to this thread and sent me PMs. Sounds like I will be able to locate it where I had wanted since it is 120 gal or less. Only restrict the company is tell me is it must be within 80' of the driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors