Need a replacement caster - sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
At church we have a set of tables for a small conference room. They have casters on 2 legs, and solid ends on the other two legs. I guess the design allows for one person to move the table by lifting the end with solid legs and maneuvering the table on the two legs with casters. I haven't tried it, so I can't even tell you whether it is functional. The casters are somewhat like what you would find on an office chair (2" wheels?)

The point one of the casters sheared inside the base (in the leg) and needs to be replaced. I have done a brief search, but haven't turned up anything close.

Does anyone know sources for a replacement caster (or set?)?

Thanks, Henry

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Need a replacement caster - sources? Here's a pic

Here's pic - nothing for context, but that wheel is about 2" diameter
IMG_20150131_214808466.jpg

Henry

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

they should have those at lowes

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

instead of trying to find one why not get 2 and replace both with new. office chairs are a dime a dozen. i may have a pair of wheels like those laying around the shop. i'll look after a while.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member

That McMaster link helps, with terminology if nothing else. It is a stem style, not plate, bracket, or socket

The wheels (caster) itself is not broken; it is the plug that fits into the table leg. The stem (male, threaded portion) coming up from the caster has has broken through the female threaded portion in the plug that fits in to the tube leg. The plug needs to be the right size, as well as the right size wheel.

Thanks guys, now I'll have to run down whether McMaster carries what I need (caster pair with plugs).

Anyone else have other sources?

Henry

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member

OK - great link of McMaster. THey have light duty threaded stem casters.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-casters/=vpx995

Now what I need is to find the plug that has the female thread and fills the end of the tube table leg.... Anyone know what I might search for, or what these plugs (my term) are called?

Henry

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Need to figure out what size stem. They typically come in 1/4 3/8 1/2. 1/4 and 3/8 being most common.

Rockler sells some good ones. Much better than the one in the picture.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member

hey Ken. Thanks for the Rockler idea. I'm pretty sure the stem is a quarter inch. I'll have a look there.
Thanks, Henry

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris

Now what I need is to find the plug that has the female thread and fills the end of the tube table leg....

I don't have any useful suggestions for finding a direct replacement, but I think I would throw some hard maple on the lathe and turn a new plug to fit the leg, drill it to fit the caster stem and then thread or nut the caster stem into the new plug.

That of course would assume you have one of those spinny thingies :gar-La;

C.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member

Chris - yes actually making a 'replacement part' on my spinny thingie is my strategy of last resort.... there's too much disorganization in my shop right now to actually consider doing anything in there, except several hours of cleanup :(

I do acknowledge that eventually I will have to get to that several hour cleanup session, but there are other projects to finish elsewhere first.

Henry

arcwick08

New User
arcwick08

I'd replace them all, if possible. Saves the pain of matching and harbor freight has some light-duty casters for very little cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS