NCWWer spotted....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
...in New York city. :wsmile:

I haven't been posting as much lately as I've been very busy with work. :tinysmile_cry_t: I do log in every morning when I wake up and every evening before I go to sleep though, just to keep up with what's happening. :icon_thum

This week we did a school out on Long Island. On Wednesday night we got some free time and took the train into the city. We were only there for about 4 hours, but it was really fun. Before then, I had only driven through New York once on a very cloudy night at 4 o'clock in the morning, so this trip was the first time I'd ever been there and actually seen anything. :gar-La; Here are a few pics. They were all taken with my cell phone, so some of them didn't turn out as well as I would've liked, but here goes.

nyc10.jpg

We flew into Newark, where we had left our van the previous week. Then we drove out to Long Island. This picture was taken from I-278 in Brooklyn, looking at Manhattan. That's the Brooklyn bridge and the Empire State Bldg over the right side of the bridge.

nyc.jpg

Here I am (with my NCWWer hat on :wink_smil) in Times Square.

nyc5.jpg

This is the other side of Times Square. That's the ball that drops on New Year's Eve. I tell you what, I've never heard more foreign languages in one place in my life. It was something else.

nyc6.jpg

Here is a fuzzy one of where the ice rink and Christmas tree will be in a few months. Right now it is a bar and we stopped there for a pint. :eek:ccasion1

nyc7.jpg

Lego store!!???!??? :swoon: Couldn't resist. :gar-La;

nyc8.jpg

Radio City Music Hall.

It was a good time. To be honest, I don't think we even covered a 1 mile loop in our couple of hours. That's a good thing because that means there's tons more to explore in the future. Two things that really impressed me were:

1. The train/subway system: It is hard to imagine the foresight that the city planners had 100 years ago when they started the subway system. You see all of this stuff and all of these places, but you don't even think about the fact that there are trains moving thousands of people under your feet.

2. Great folks: The students at our school were probably the nicest group I've had yet. They were very motivated to learn and we had some great conversations. Also, the other folks we came into contact with outside of the school were very nice. I have to admit, I was intimidated a little bit going up there, sitting down in front of a crowd of people with a microphone and doing a class. You know, it is New York? :swoon: But I was very impressed with how nice everyone was. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

At the end of the day though, it sure felt great to look out the window of the plane and see Raleigh. NYC is a great place. Definitely fun to visit, but NC is my favorite place on the planet and it's great to be back. :icon_thum

BTW- We're up there next week too and will probably get a few hours during the day time to take a few shots. I'm planning on taking the good camera and our plan is to go up to the observation deck at Rockefeller Center and take some "aerial" shots. I'll update this thread if that happens. Thanks for looking.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
lots to see there if ya like people!:rotflm: toooooo many people......:crossedlips:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Ya know there's a Lego store in Raleigh, right? I've [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] taken the kids twice since it opened :>

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The first time I went my boss took me for a walk from SOHO to Grand Central Park up 5th Ave and back down Park Ave. We saw Rockefeller Center, Trump Tower, Grand Central Station and Lots of other stores and landmarks I can't remember. It was a little weird walking in NYC at midnight but we were perfectly safe.

gator

George
Corporate Member
In another lifetime (52 years ago) I was stationed at Ft Monmouth in NJ and we used to go to 'the city' for the weekend. On Saturday night we would walk from Times Square to Greenwich Village, stopping at several bars along the way, and then take the subway back up to Penn Station where our hotel was. One New Years eve (Jan 1, 1958) I was sitting on top of one of the light posts in the middle of Times Square to welcome in the new year. Now I can't even stay up til midnight.:tinysmile_cry_t::tinysmile_cry_t::tinysmile_cry_t:

George

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Yeah they speak every language but English in NY, lol. As amazing as the subway system is, you still have to look at the fact that all power and communication lines are also underground plus one heck of a set of aquaducts bringing in water from upstate NY. It's definitely a well planned city.

Enjoy your time there and keep your hands on your wallet:rotflm:.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
One New Years eve (Jan 1, 1958) I was sitting on top of one of the light posts in the middle of Times Square to welcome in the new year. Now I can't even stay up til midnight.:tinysmile_cry_t::tinysmile_cry_t:

George, I can certainly relate to that. I'm a "morning person" and am usually in bed by about 10pm. So when 10pm came around the other night and we still had an hour and fifteen minute train ride back to our hotel, I was not a happy camper. :no:

all power and communication lines are also underground plus one heck of a set of aquaducts bringing in water from upstate NY. It's definitely a well planned city.

I hadn't even thought about that. :eek:

Rob

New User
Rob
One place I've never been and always wanted to visit. Looks like your enjoying it.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice pics, Trent, though the guy is the second pic had a sordid air about him. :gar-La;

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

It didn't take much looking around before I realized that my coworker and I were some of the most underdressed folks in that town. :gar-La; On a related note, I'm pretty good about having tunnel vision and not acknowledging the folks that approach you and try to sell you stuff. But one lady pegged us. We were walking by and she said, "you all are from North Carolina aren't you." So of course, we stopped and turned around. She was actually from Cary and said, "I spotted you guys a block away. T-shirts, cargo shorts, hats and beards...." :rotflm: She was living up there and working for a comedy club, so of course, we stood there and listened to her little thing before politely thanking her and explaining that we didn't have time to go to the show tonight.

Glennbear

Glenn
Glad you enjoyed the sights Trent, many decades ago I worked in lower Manhattan. It is definitely a unique city. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS