NCWW Youth Outreach Program: Inaugural Event - September 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
REMINDER

The information below was posted a couple of weeks ago and we have had several of our membership register their children and grandchildren. We still have room for a few more, so please let me know if you would like your youth to participate!

Donn

What:
NCWW Youth Outreach Program
When: September 28
Time: 9:00 a.m. to noon
Where: Klingspor"s Woodworking Shop, 3141 Capital Blvd. Raleigh, NC
Ages: 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10

A couple of months ago, we announced plans to begin a series of workshops targeting youth. We received a lot of feedback, all of which was helpful in developing our plans. We recognize that youth audiences present several unique challenges not the least of which are varying skill levels and attention spans. That said, youth also represent an opportunity for NCWW to educated and inspire woodworkers of the future.

With respect to our inaugural workshop, we are limiting the number of participants to 10 and all must be accompanied by an adult. We are continuing to develop projects for the program, but these projects will more than likely include the use of the band-saw, scroll-saw, lathe, sanders and/or drill press. If you have interest in enrolling your youngster in this program, please let me know by responding to this thread. The first 10 will be assured a spot, those not included in the first 10 will be on the waiting list and will be contacted should anyone cancel.

We expect our youth participants to learn a lot, as well as have fun! Moreover, those of us conducting the program will also learn from the experience, which will benefit subsequent programs. If you would like to assist with this outreach effort, please let me know.

Donn

Last edited:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Donn,

Just for clarification. If I were to bring two kids, each one would need to be accompanied by an adult. Is this correct?

Steve H.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Donn,

Just for clarification. If I were to bring two kids, each one would need to be accompanied by an adult. Is this correct?

Steve H.

Steve
In cases such as yours, I think it would be fine if you brought your two children as long as you were comfortable about supervising both in the workshop environment.

Donn

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Calling all parents and grand-parents.

Bring your young-ens.

They will have a good time and have something to show for their efforts.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Would love to help out if you need any:icon_thum:icon_thum

Dirk, we would love to have your help! If there is any specific skill or project that you would like to work with or develop, please send me a PM and we can discuss it.

Donn

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
What this program needs is a poster child - so here is my granddaughter.

image33.jpg

Now we just need nine more like her

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump A morning out with the kids and you still get to go to Klingspor - it does not get better

eyekode

New User
Salem
I somehow missed this thread. I have 3 kids in that age and at least 2 would love to participate (and 2 is probably all I can handle :)).
Salem

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is just one of the projects the kids will be able to complete. Some introductory turning on the lathe, add some magic and they will have their own light sabre. We can do red also and we are working on one that changes color when you use it. We have plenty of supplies for these - now we need some more kids.

000_0001.jpg 000_0003 2.jpg

eyekode

New User
Salem
Unfortunately it looks like this time slot overlaps not 1, not 2 but 3 soccer games for my kids. So we will not be able to make it :(.
Sorry!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
In addition to the Light Saber (pictured in this thread) and a Keepsake Box, the kids will also be building the birdhouse picture below. All-in-all the event should prove to be a lot of fun for all involved!

Birdhouse_1.jpg

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Phil, finally remembered to recheck our sports schedules and looks like we can make it. If there's still room for 2 more I'll bring both kids, 7 and 10 years old. Is there anything we need to bring with us? Safety glasses or anything like that?

B

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Bump.

This is still on for tomorrow right? Still wondering if I need to pick up some safety glasses for the kids before we come tomorrow.....

Brian.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Indeed the workshop is a go for tomorrow. Regarding safety glasses, we will have regular safety glasses available. For future programs we are going to see if about smaller glasses, but for tomorrow, we will be using regular safety glasses.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Thanks Donn, we'll be there in the morning. The kids are excited about it. :eusa_danc

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors