NCWoodworker online survey, Legitimant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I have recently started getting a pop up to take a survey for the site and I am wandering if it is legit. It has popped up a few times lately and if it is legit, then there is no problem. I have been having some PC issues this week that may be virus related and I am a little concerned because of that.

I have not seen any announcements regarding any type of survey and just want to be sure.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
There shouldn't be any survey popups - if you're getting those then you probably have a virus. Can you provide any additional details?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Bas it pops up at times when I click on a link to another thread and I do not want to post the link because of the possible threat. Hers the url. I left out the http://

[FONT=&quot]server2.mediajmp.com/surveys/cpv-index.html?sub=ncwoodworker.net[/FONT]

I will do a screen capture and post it if you want. This is the disclaimer at the end

<script type="text/javascript">document.write(nameup); </script><script type="text/javascript"> document.write(nameup); </script>� Copyright 2009-2010 All rights reserved. We are not affiliated nor partnered, with Ncwoodworker.net. Ncwoodworker.net has not authored, participated in, or in any way reviewed this advertisement or authorized it. The trial products offered on the last page pay this website for orders placed. See important terms and conditions regarding this ad here
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I agree with Bas. I looked up that URL, its associated with an annoying number of virusesses your machine may be infected with.

What kind of virus scanners have you got?

Never rule out something we didn't know we did on this site, but I found nothing to indicate we have been compromised.

I'm running a site wide virus scan just to be safe.

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Thanks Bas and Jim I did not think it was site related.

I am now pretty sure it is a virus redirecting the browser on my PC. It is not happening on the laptop. I was using windows security and what ever it was had somehow turned off my firewall and virus protection. It also started redirecting me to buy widows security package that may not have been legit either. I just came back from dropping off the PC to let the pro's clean it up. the last time I tried to clean up a problem like that my system had to be wiped and everything reloaded.

I also downloaded and ran avast but did not stop the problem.

At least we know someone is out there phishing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Be careful of anything saying you have a virus and you need to purchase this anti-virus software to remove it. By clicking on the link to the AV software you will download the virus. It has happened to several of my friends and totally messed up one of our computers at work.

Dave:)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) FBSMTWB

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Be careful of anything saying you have a virus and you need to purchase this anti-virus software to remove it. By clicking on the link to the AV software you will download the virus. It has happened to several of my friends and totally messed up one of our computers at work.

Dave:)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) FBSMTWB

I don't do that. :nah:

Thanks all for the quick replies
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas it pops up at times when I click on a link to another thread and I do not want to post the link because of the possible threat. Hers the url. I left out the http://

[FONT=&quot]server2.mediajmp.com/surveys/cpv-index.html?sub=ncwoodworker.net[/FONT]

I will do a screen capture and post it if you want. This is the disclaimer at the end

<script type="text/javascript">document.write(nameup); </script><script type="text/javascript"> document.write(nameup); </script>� Copyright 2009-2010 All rights reserved. We are not affiliated nor partnered, with Ncwoodworker.net. Ncwoodworker.net has not authored, participated in, or in any way reviewed this advertisement or authorized it. The trial products offered on the last page pay this website for orders placed. See important terms and conditions regarding this ad here
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

OK, this is a nasty one. See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=285720&view=findpost&p=1586293 for a possible fix.

Another option is to clean it out using Malwarebytes, which you can find at http://www.malwarebytes.org/

If you have a backup of your data, I'd consider wiping the machine and starting from scratch, but that may be to drastic.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS