ncwoodworker.com

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member

When I go to "ncwoodworker. com", I get this message.​

(All of the new ncwoodworker cards are .com, not .net.
Is it just me or are others not able to reach our webnsite?)

Centmin Mod Nginx Test Page

This page is used to test the proper operation of the Centmin Mod based Nginx HTTP server after it has been installed. If you can read this page, it means that the Nginx HTTP server installed at this site is working properly. You can further boost your Centmin Mod LEMP stack performance by following configuration tips outlined in How to boost Centmin Mod LEMP stack performance guide.
Disclaimer
Centmin Mod is a free open source software for CentOS Linux that can be downloaded and installed by anybody and was installed on this server by a 3rd party end user with no relation to Centmin Mod. Centmin Mod has no control over and is not responsible for the content contained on this site.
CentminMod.com Nginx Auto Installer

If you are a member of the general public:​

The fact that you are seeing this page indicates that the website you just visited is either experiencing problems, or is undergoing routine maintenance or has recently just been installed and not correctly configured yet.
If you would like to let the administrators of this website know that you've seen this page instead of the page you expected, you should send them e-mail. In general, mail sent to the name "webmaster" and directed to the website's domain should reach the appropriate person.
For example, if you experienced problems while visiting www.example.com, you should send e-mail to "webmaster@example.com".

If you are the website administrator:​

After Centmin Mod install, follow the Getting Started Guide to setup your Centmin Mod LEMP web server.
You may want to change this index.html file located within directory /usr/local/nginx/html. Note that until you do so, people visiting your website will see this page, and not your content. To prevent this page from ever being used, replace this file (index.html).

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Our site IS North Carolina Woodworker. NET
If the new cards are .com, they are trash and new ones need to be made.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Capture.JPG

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Our site IS North Carolina Woodworker. NET
If the new cards are .com, they are trash and new ones need to be made.
I was given these cards a long time ago. So I guess everyone that has recieved them with .com has been unable to access our website. So much for attracting new members.
At one of the lunches I heard folks discussing net vs. com and they said that com would direct you to net.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
If you are entering "ncwoodworker. com" instead of "ncwoodworker.com" that might be the issue? But you have posted to "NC Woodworker" so maybe you've already figured it all out?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
If you are entering "ncwoodworker. com" instead of "ncwoodworker.com" that might be the issue? But you have posted to "NC Woodworker" so maybe you've already figured it all out?
I have been a member for 15 years so I know how to access the website. I visit several times a day.
Recently I had a shop visitor and when I went to give him a business card I had one of the old ones and a stack of the new ones. That was when I noticed the com vs net. I decided to see if com would work but it would not. I have had these "new" cards for a year or so, so anyone that I gave a card to cannot access the site. I was at the Cary Klingspor anniversary celebration and I handed out 15-20 cards. The recipients must think we are a great club when they cannot reach us.
I just wanted to bring it to someone's attention that there is/may be a problem.
If there is a problem then I am not able to solve it.
I have done my part.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We used .com as a supplemental page for a while. That went away and all of our pages should point to here. I think Neal is working on this and it should be fixed soon.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charlie, we let the.com site go. We were paying for it and it wasn’t getting any use or traffic. We are currently working on a .org site that will on a different platform and will hopefully get more use and traffic. I’ll be honest with you it takes a lot of work to keep maintain and grow a site of this nature.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Charlie, we let the.com site go. We were paying for it and it wasn’t getting any use or traffic. We are currently working on a .org site that will on a different platform and will hopefully get more use and traffic. I’ll be honest with you it takes a lot of work to keep maintain and grow a site of this nature.
I am well aware of the work that is involved and I appreciate everything that everyone does to make it work as well as it does. I now understand why there is a problem. But how do we prevent others from handing out the obsolete .com cards?
Maybe I'm the only one that has (had) the cards. I bet that if there are any cards on the outreach trailer they are the wrong ones. Can whoever has the trailer be notified to check the cards if there are any?

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought we still had ".com" and it redirected to ".net." If that's no longer the case, I'll have to grab the cards that I left out.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I thought we still had ".com" and it redirected to ".net." If that's no longer the case, I'll have to grab the cards that I left out.
Matt, It was also my understanding that .com redirected to .net, but now know better. I just tossed about 200 .com cards.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I have been a member for 15 years so I know how to access the website.
I wasn't being a smart ass, but I noticed that you posted ncwoodworker.[SPACE]com

For the record, I tried ncwoodworker.com and got the UNIX redirect page, too.

I never get as far as the extension. I always just type "ncwoodworker" and Chrome/Googol finds the right page [https://ncwoodworker.net/forums] - or, at least, it never took me to the UNIX/LINUX redirect page.

(BTW) From my experience, the extension (com, org, net, etc) doesn't impact traffic*. I do know that folks who use those 'ready made' web sites from hosting platforms find scaling an issue and, worse, ownership. I always tried to get my clients to purchase their web site and hosting independently and build the site themselves (in house).

I'm not clear on how NCWW went about creating this site much less hosting details and such, but I've always found it a workable and useful site and cannot recall having a complaint to date.

Again, I saw the space and thought (since you used quotes) that you had cut and pasted the URL you actually used into your post. Apologies, Charles

* Websites are like a Mom and Pop Joint. The locals know it (and both Mom and Pop) well. heir place has 'been there forever' and folks (in the know) "re surprised you never knew of Mom and Pops." Floks who drive by it regularly may never have noticed it at all.

So, Mom starts advertising, but can't justify a nation wide ad buy based upon current net profits. So, they need to find another way to get their name (and business and product(s)) 'out there.

Maybe NCWOODWORKER could turn the Extravaganza demos into Internet Sensations. Anyone in the group able to record video & sound of such stuff? Stills, too. Hey, we've got some very talented members, maybe NCWOODWORKERS could have it's own You Tube channel? It would feature individual members and their actual tools (lots of pricey brands in our collective shups from what I've seen in the for sale thread).

Do I hear sponsors calling?

Has anyone seen the INSTRUCTABLES site? Some very creative folks there.

And, Klingspor classes and demos would serve as fodder for the NCWOODWORKER YouTube Channel and serve to drive traffic to our website aour classes and to Klingspor (where the titebond glue is cheaper than Lowes all day long!).

I know I've been meaning to get to a class to learn how to use a plane and sharpen one first - there's something about HANDS-ON that beats a video HANDS DOWN.

It's a little short notice to get a 'VIDEO TEAM' ready by 10-20, but not too late to ask any and everyone with the ability to video a demonstration to volunteer to cover a class (or three) this year. Photographers always shoot ten to twenty to one (well back in the day of Tri-X and Kodacolor) and you've likely heard of 'the cutting room floor' (if you're near my age) where some of the best shots wound up.

If we have a surfeit of video, video from two angles, etc. that can often be edited into an interesting video. And we've got guys that are expert with all manner of tools - even 3D printers to make parts for WW Tools. There's a video in itself! The author could offer the 3d File "to members on their first anniversary."

Hey this is posted in teh wrong place!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I was also unaware that the .com site was let go! I still have some business cards that show the .com site on them. I will be sure to discard them all. Thanks for pointing this out Charlie!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Here is the address of where I am at now:

samplelinehttps://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/ncwoodworker-com.79353sampleline end

You will notice it is .net, but has -com later in the line. I am a computer illiterate so I don't know what this means.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is the address of where I am at now:

samplelinehttps://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/ncwoodworker-com.79353sampleline end

You will notice it is .net, but has -com later in the line. I am a computer illiterate so I don't know what this means.
The later portion with .com is due to the thread name. .net is the correct name for the forum discussion site. The .com site was getting very little activity so we let that site drop when it came time to renew the subscription. I will work on getting the .com redirected to show different information rather than what what Charlie has posted.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
.com is still the most common domain type, so it's probably a good idea to keep it, if for no other reason than to redirect to .net (or the future .org).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS