NC code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimB

New User
Tim Baldwin
Any idea where I might find info on the NC building code?

I'm starting to finish the upstairs (into a music/exercise room and theater) and was loking on information on joist span and particulalrly nailing schedules. I will have a 12ft span where my height is 10ft and a 14ft span where it is 9ft. Using a live load of 20psf and deflection of l/240 I get 2x6 and 2x8 joists respectively. Actually it looks like 2x6 would work in both cases, but i'm planning on an HVAC unit over the 9ft ceiling so considering the extra dead load I'll bump a size. I found some tables published by the Southern Pine Council and i think i am pretty solid on those selections.
What I am not finding anywhere is recommended or allowable nailing schedules. I was planning on 6 @ 16d through each joist into the rafter (which is a 2x8 ), and also putting one diaphragm a foot or so either side of mid-span just end nailed between the joists.
For anyone that knows, any idea if this will meet code, or any idea where I could find an appropriate reference? TIA

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I think I found the entire thing at David's link above, but got nothing from Tom's link - could not load?

M

McRabbet

Our local library has a complete set of the codes -- go browse your own library -- ask at the Reference Desk.

Rob

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
The NC Department of Insurance has the building code on line. It is a bit tedious to use or search, but it is there.
I am not sure if I understood you correctly, but I wouldn't use anything less than a 8". Even if a 6" will do according to the code, it may be a bouncy floor. One thing to remember, the code only specifies the absolute minimum allowed, the code does not prescribe good building practices.
..my $0.02
Cheers,
Bernhard

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Let's see, you have 2 X 8 rafters and are thinking of using 2 X 6 joists. Seems strange to have joists smaller than rafters. If these are floor joists, I would go with #2 SYP 2 X 10's- 16" OC, on both spans. Home Depot stocks them at their Apex store. If you are in the town limits of HS, go to building inspection dept and ASK. They have the final say, no matter what the code says. Take a simple sketch of your ideas with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS