Nail gun question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Since I haven't owned or used any pneumatic nail guns, I am interested in knowing what you think/know about the size of brads, nails and staples they can shoot. I would guess that guns shooting longer fasteners would probably cost more, but for general woodworking are they of significant value?

Here goes. Below are the lengths of fasteners most guns (that I've looked at) can handle. From your experience with guns you own/use, are these adequate ?

Brads - 2 inch, 18 gage
Finish nails - 2.5 inch, 16 gage
Staples - 1.5 inch, 18 gage
Pins - 1 inch, 23 gage

What uses would call for longer brads, nails, staples or pins ?

Thanks,
Brent

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
That's all the sizes I have ever used for general woodworking. The only thing I can think of to add to your list would be a framing nailer, which can shoot 3.5" nails.

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
I tend to use my Dewalt 18ga brad nailer for shooting 5/8" to 2" brads. I generally have a 1 3/8" brad loaded in it for anything that I don't have the patience for the glue to dry completely in the clamps or that I know will be painted. I also like to pin the rails on the backs of cope and stick doors w/ a 5/8" brad when I know they will get abused. I like to use a hitachi crown stapler on case backs made out of thin ply so that they don't pull through ...again no patience for glue to dry. And when forced to do crown molding installation (or simply to cheap to hire someone) I use an angled 15ga porter cable shooting a 2 1/2" nail. For shooting furring strips into masonary blocks I use a Porta Nails gun shooting a hardened T nail.
Mike

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I would want something to shoot longer than 1" pins. If you use it to tack something 3/4 in place, thats not very much holding power

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks like you got it covered. I have and use all of the above and more and rarely use them with the longest nails. 3/4" pins are the longest I use in 23GA. anything longer I step up to a brad nailer. I sometimes [rarely] use up to 1 3/4" brads. If I need 2" I step up to a finish nailer. Brads tent to follow the grain of the wood and will ruin a piece if you aren't careful [or lucky] I rarely use 1/4" crown staples more than 1 1/4" long [haven't found a use for longer] If I need 1 1/2" staples I get out the 1/2" crown stapler. [you cant beat these for holding power] but they are only used in hidden areas. remember, you can use shorter nails in most nail guns but you can't use longer nails than they are made to shoot.

T

toolferone

Of that list. In woodworking I use the 18ga the most and the 23ga next. My 23ga only goes to one inch and wish it did a little more, say 1-3/16" I would not get a 15ga until you really needed it. It is more of a houde trim gun.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a 16 gauge Bostich that shoots 2.5 inch nails. It is useful for trim where the trim is 3/4 to 1 inch, then the drywall is 1/2 or 5/8, and you still need to get about an inch into the stud. I have a 18 gauge PC that shoots 2 inch brads. I use it for trim installation like for casing where I only really need about a 1.5 inch brad most of the time. I occasionally use it on a furniture project or something that will be painted but I do not like the size of the holes it makes (16 guage is even worse, of course). For furniture, I have a 23 gauge Bostich that will shoot a 1 3/16 pin. That only gives me less than a half inch penetration through a 3/4 piece but that can be enough to hold while the glue dries. The little pins will follow the grain, including in southern yellow pine. You need to be careful where your fingers are when using it. But the holes are easily filled or sometimes ignored. It holds surprisingly well. All the pneumatics hold better than you would think. Apparently shooting a nail in quickly and straight in one motion results in better holding than hand nailing.

My staplers are Harbor Freight. They work but are noticably worse in design than the PC and Bostichs I have. My 18 gauge is supposed to be able to shoot 1 1/2 inch staples but won't without the pressure jacked way up. It works well with 3/4 staples which are enough to put the back on a cabinet. I use it to make plantation shutters. I also have a HF upholstrey stapler that works with the little staples I use in it. I think HF are fine for the money but beware of the potential they will need a lot of pressure to drive the longest fasteners they are rated to handle.

Jim

bwat

New User
Bill
The current issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine received yesterday has an article on nail guns for the shop. It is mostly generic and a broad overview but you may find it helpful.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Maybe I'm just slow, but it took me a long time to learn this lesson.

Be mindful of how the points on your nail strips are cut. They are typically a chisel cut, like a wedge and along the length of the strip. Shoot the nails so the wedge is on-axis with the narrow dimension of what you are nailing.

A nail will typically deflect perpendicular to the wedge cut, so if you keep this in mind, 9 times out of 10, you can keep the nail from deflecting right through the side of your work.

When I use a nailer in the shop, it's usually an 18 ga 5/8" or 7/8" brad nail used to pin a dado joint or similar. IMHO, finish nailers are indispensable for interior trim work.

ehpoole

Ethan
Pins - 1 inch, 23 gage

What uses would call for longer brads, nails, staples or pins ?

Thanks,
Brent

You will find that 1-3/16" (30mm) is a more common maximum length in pinners (though the Porter Cable model is limited to 1"). There are a few pinners out there, such as Grex ($$), that are also available in 1-3/8", 1-3/4" and 2" models. My 23ga pinner is a 1-3/16" (30mm) Bostitch -- if money were no object I'd have gotten the 1-3/4" 23ga Grex pinner. I also have an EZ-Fasten 21ga, 1-3/16" pinner/brad nailer which is nice for when you need a pin with more holding power or for when you need a brad considerably smaller than the more common 18ga.

Otherwise your quoted lengths are largely spot-on. All that said, though, unless you are like me and own a few thousand of every size fastener your guns will handle, the more critical question is what sizes and lengths do YOU need for your projects (e.g. if you mostly join 3/4" pieces then you will want 1-1/4" or 1-3/8" nails for nailing one to the other and perhaps 1-3/4" or 2" nails for nailing corners together where you aren't limited by the 3/4" thickness. Beware that as your fastener length increases so does the chance of your fastener deflecting off a knot or following the grain and blowing out somewhere unexpected -- this is just one of the tradeoffs with using pnuematic nailers, just like missed blows and bent nails when hammering by hand.

Although none of my nail guns have it, a nice feature found in some of the better models is dry-fire lockout, which prevents your gun from firing when it is out/nearly out of nails or pins. I've also tended to prefer traditional oiled nailers/pinners over the newer oilless nailers/pinners -- I don't torture them enough to say for sure, but it just seems that the oiled nailers should be more reliable and need less rebuilds if regularly oiled (nor have I found them to ever harm any of my projects from ejected oil, though I often fire off a dry-fire or two after oilling them to ensure there is no excess oil left in the nailer. Plus, if all your nailers are either oiled or oilless it is easier to remember to take care of them since they all require the same treatment (which in my case is a drop or two of oil before each session).

Also, not always apparent to a new nail gun owner, you generally don't need to be brand specific in your choice of nails. All of my nailers, save for my 21ga pinner/brad nailer, are Bostitch, but I have a mix of Porter Cable, Bostitch, WoodRiver, and Grex nails and pins. About the only area I've found you need to be a bit more careful in is with the pinners since some are really European models (as in metric lengths) vs some models using imperial lengths. Otherwise they are all pretty standardized. Sometimes you will even discover that another manufacturer's nails or pins work better in your gun than the OEM nails or pins do (I find my Bostitch nailer does better with 23ga Grex pins than it does with Bostitch's own 23ga pins -- save for the 3/4" pins which need to be Bostitch because the Grex are 1mm too long).

HTH

PS -- :eusa_booh This thread reminds me that I still need to get around to tearing down my Bostitch compressor -- the pressure regulator knob stripped out a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, I was 4 months out of warranty ($14 part and about $16 in shipping, so I also ordered a spare plus the parts necessary to refurbish the piston, cylinder, and valves should they ever wear out (oilless) since they were only a few dollars more and should be enough to keep it working for years to come. Of course replacing the regulator means tearing down 1/2 the compressor since everything seems to be attached to it! :eusa_naug Have I ever mentioned that I REALLY HATE PLASTIC MECHANICAL PARTS!!! It's fine for cases, chasis and buttons and the like, but not moving or heavily stressed parts -- and never suitable as a 'spring'. :eusa_naug <grrrr>

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Thanks for all the replies and good info. I finally decided to get the reconditioned Bostitch compressor and 3 guns...$199.99 at Northern Tool and I had a $20 off coupon, so that helped too. Haven't had time to inspect or use them yet. It also came with an air hose, 1000 of each fastener, tool oil and a bag for the nailers.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS