Nail Gun question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Built some shop stuff and faced them with some real thin ply attached with a nail gun. It left some pretty visible tiny rectangular divots where the nails entered. I'm not too worried since its in my garage and I built them for practice but am wondering what I need to do to get the almost invisible look that Norm and other tv shows get.

What kind of a nail gun and nails do I need to use? I'm still using the nails that came with the gun. I am thinking my nailgun is the main culprit here as the nail heads were nowhere near the size of the divots. I tried a few taps into some red oak and while not as deep, I can still see the same sized divots. I don't have the model number but its a Delta I got real cheap from Rockler when they were still in Greensboro.

Thanks...Steve

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Steve,

What size / gauge nailer are you using? The lower the number, the bigger the nail / hole / divot. Does the nailer have a depth adjustment? Setting it for less of a depth may do the trick. These things don't really get to 'invisible' until you use a headless pinner, such as a 23 gauge.

If you have the right size (gauge) nailer and the depth is set right, you might consider a color matched filler or putty in the nail hole after you put the stain or dye on the project. Then, of course, top coat with the clear finish.

Another thought is to avoid any surface driven mechanical fasteners for the face(s) of your projects. For example, use glue and maybe biscuits for a cabinet face frame and clamp the face frame and he carcass together until the glue sets.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm no expert on nail guns, but I've found that it is pretty difficult to get them consistent, like you're talking about. I don't use them on projects that I would consider "fine woodworking," with the one exception of putting a plywood back onto a cabinet, etc. I wouldn't use a nail gun anywhere that would be visible though. If you adjust the depth gauge to try to get them flush, you'll probably end up not shooting them all the way in and will have to tap them in, which will likely cause a bigger divot than before. I would shoot them in and just use wood putty, like Ray mentioned. :icon_thum

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I had the same problem with my nail gun and compressor - even on the lowest depth setting on the gun, I was still getting that deep divot and, sometimes, the brads would go straight through the wood. I figured out that I needed to lower the pressure on the compressor along with adjusting the depth on the nail gun. I adjusted it by taking some scrap wood and kept nailing until I got the result I was looking for.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
ok, thanks, I'll take a look at the gun when I get home, see if there is a depth setting. Not sure what the nail gauge is, will have to check on that as well.

I was about to use glue when I realized I'd be sitting around waiting for stuff to dry and didn't really want to so started nailing em on, hehe.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Steve,

Let us know what you find when you get there. ... and ... are there any photos? (you know we love our photos) :gar-Bi

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Zap: A bit of forethought, 23 ga pin nailer and glue; that usually gets you 99% of the way to invisible. Colored crayons and u good to go :} Fill any little critters AFTER you finish the pcs, this way you can mix and mash em to get just the right color :gar-Bi

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
+1 on reducing the air pressure like Sandy said. I had that problem with both a PC and Bostich. Lowering the presure worked like a charm.

Good luck,

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
pics as requested. it's still a work in progress. I cut some of the drawers tonight, will have to finish tomorrow. Hopefully this weekend I can start the cabs that will go over the shelves. Last two drawers are shorter because once I placed the first 4, I realized In order to move the tablesaw there is a lever that lifts the end up an inch or so and i wouldnt have been able to once I finished the build. Quick pass through the TS shortened everything nicely, hehe.

the pile of junk in the foreground is what was piled on top of the shelf. that pile will hopefully live in the drawers and cabs when done

I found what I think is the height adjustment on the nail gun so next time I use it, I'll experiment with it some and lower the pressure as well

Picture_00315.jpg

View image in gallery

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've always used a little spit to swell the wood and make the divot disappear. I've tried everything to get my $4.99 HF special brad nailer to not leave dents. Cranking the pressure up and using the cardboard back of a notepad as a cushion to fire through has worked pretty well.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
When installing the ceiling and bathroom walls, I had to adjust the pressure downward until I got the desired result. On thin MDF and ply, the nails/brads would go right through until I lowered the pressure on the output. Good luck. It's a challenge at best!
:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS