Mystery toilet issue

joec

joe
User
I have a toilet in a guest bathroom that occasionally will stop up without any known reason. I have banned anything but liquid from being flushed, but it will still happen. It happened again last nite after a guest went in and I followed. When I flushed, the bowl filled up and did not slowly drain over time. I finally took a plunger to it and, after several attempts, it started working again. When this toilet is flushed, and the handle is not fully pushed down, it appears a "burp" will happen with an air bubble coming up. My theory is that an air lock forms in the P trap area and that stops everything. My guest is hyper and probably pushed the lever as he was leaving and did not fully engage it. My plumber had never heard of such a thing. Any ideas?

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Sounds to me like something is caught in the pipe. You could have your plumber drop a camera in the pipe to check it out

joec

joe
User
I had a camera run down the line and did not see anything. This happens occasionally and I do not feel that it is organic, as it is just my wife and I (other than the occasional guest). My regular guests now know about this and go to our other bathrooms.

joec

joe
User
Possibly an issue with the vent being partially clogged?
I thought of this, but it would seem that the bowl would slowly drain down if that was the case. This is set in stone it seems with very little, if any, drainage. It may would drain away over a day or so, but I have never let it go that far.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
It seems like a toilet is particularly dependant on the vent because the P trap, in the toilet itself, is full of water. Many times a sink or shower does not have enough water flowing through it that it cannot vent the same way the water is coming in. But not a toilet. I also don't know why there would be a slow flow if the vent is blocked. If it is only paritally blocked I would think it just wouldn't flush well but would flush. It doesn't take much area to let air through. But if it is blocked, it could preven the flush as you describe. The plunger would force air into the line and raise pressure both of which could allow the flow.

If it was me, I would be looking on the roof for the vent above this bathroom. Vents can be located a ways away from bathrooms as long as they slope towards the fixture, however. But most seem to go pretty straight out the roof.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If the main line that ties this in is clear and not obstructed then look at these 4 main issues for possible problems:

1. Venting- Lots of buildings in the south uses wet and indirect venting which can and will cause problems. If you can inspect the pipe run to confirm whether or not it the line was dry vented or not- this may impossible as much of the pipe is likely buried in the wall

2. The pipe lateral pitch might be too flat. Inspect the pipe run and check with a level to confirm if it has 2% fall on the line.

3. Use of a wrong type fitting (vent or close sweep elbow used). Inspect the pipe run to confirm if proper fittings were used.

4. Toilet defective- the trap internal opening is mis-made or scaled. -The Home Depot brand (Glacier) elongated bowl is a inexpensive decent toilet.
Most toilets have a 2.375- 2.5" internal pipe diameter. You can but a American Standard that has if I rememebr correctly 3.5" internal line diameter.

joec

joe
User
It seems like a toilet is particularly dependant on the vent because the P trap, in the toilet itself, is full of water. Many times a sink or shower does not have enough water flowing through it that it cannot vent the same way the water is coming in. But not a toilet. I also don't know why there would be a slow flow if the vent is blocked. If it is only paritally blocked I would think it just wouldn't flush well but would flush. It doesn't take much area to let air through. But if it is blocked, it could preven the flush as you describe. The plunger would force air into the line and raise pressure both of which could allow the flow.

If it was me, I would be looking on the roof for the vent above this bathroom. Vents can be located a ways away from bathrooms as long as they slope towards the fixture, however. But most seem to go pretty straight out the roof.
There is a vent directly above this toilet. I discounted the vent as it flushes very well, 98% of the time. It just stops completely every once in awhile. It seems a partially or fully clogged vent would make the flush consistently poor.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Odd, but...

I have had issues with cheap "contractor grade" stools. Never again after getting the regular line from Kohler, AS, etc. Plus they flush :Kalump" nice and quick and fill quietly.

joec

joe
User
If the main line that ties this in is clear and not obstructed then look at these 4 main issues for possible problems:

1. Venting- Lots of buildings in the south uses wet and indirect venting which can and will cause problems. If you can inspect the pipe run to confirm whether or not it the line was dry vented or not- this may impossible as much of the pipe is likely buried in the wall

2. The pipe lateral pitch might be too flat. Inspect the pipe run and check with a level to confirm if it has 2% fall on the line.

3. Use of a wrong type fitting (vent or close sweep elbow used). Inspect the pipe run to confirm if proper fittings were used.

4. Toilet defective- the trap internal opening is mis-made or scaled. -The Home Depot brand (Glacier) elongated bowl is a inexpensive decent toilet.
Most toilets have a 2.375- 2.5" internal pipe diameter. You can but a American Standard that has if I rememebr correctly 3.5" internal line diameter.
Thanks for such an informed response. The vent and drain are both buried in floor joists and wall construction. I had the toilet taken up to run the camera but would have to tear out sheetrock from below to inspect the drain line. I do know that the drain line is PVC running into cast iron after about 3'-4'.

joec

joe
User
Odd, but...

I have had issues with cheap "contractor grade" stools. Never again after getting the regular line from Kohler, AS, etc. Plus they flush :Kalump" nice and quick and fill quietly.
I am not home right now, but think this is a Kohler.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Check the toilet itself. There could be something in there that occasionally moves to create the blockage. Plunging will turn the object and allow it to flush properly. Hair pins work that way. DAMHIKT.

joec

joe
User
Check the toilet itself. There could be something in there that occasionally moves to create the blockage. Plunging will turn the object and allow it to flush properly. Hair pins work that way. DAMHIKT.
I thought about that, but that something should allow some seepage and allow the bowl to empty. When this happens, it is airtight until some action is taken. I may just throw this toilet out and get a new one and hope you are right.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If the drain piping is good and the vent piping checks out I'd be tempted to replace the toilet, it'd be worth the price of a decent new throne to eliminate that as the possible source of the problem.

We put an American Standard Champion 4 in our guest bath and the boys (11 & 15) and they haven't clogged it over the past 6 years.

joec

joe
User
If the drain piping is good and the vent piping checks out I'd be tempted to replace the toilet, it'd be worth the price of a decent new throne to eliminate that as the possible source of the problem.

We put an American Standard Champion 4 in our guest bath and the boys (11 & 15) and they haven't clogged it over the past 6 years.
If I do this, it will be the best American Standard.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
...............and pencils and toothbrushes. Take the toilet up and look up into the toilet neck from the flange that sits on the floor to be sure there are no foreign objects. NEVER FLUSH WET WIPES regardless of what they claim. They are a plumber's friend for service calls.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
I have a toilet that sometimes acts as you describe. Normal flush, then the water level is very low. Next flush, a 'burp' and it immediately fills up (very quickly - not from the normal fill). Sometimes requires plunging. Can't seem to find anything wrong...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check the jet in the bottom of the bowl. The rush of water from it its what makes toilet flush. If it stopped up (mineral build up) it can't function properly.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If it flushes right repeatedly, then doesn't, then after it's plunged it flushes well for awhile I agree with the "bad toilet" cause as the most likely. I guess I misunderstood your description. I live in a 55 year old house which had two of the very old high gallongs per flush toilets when I bought the house and one reasonably low capacity Jacuzzi toilet. I have replaced the two high water ones and added another (3 total) "Sterling" toilets. None has ever stopped up. I think this is the inexpensive line made by Elger. We probably got them from Lowe's. The tank bolts to the bowl with three bolts rather than the typical two (just a way to identify them, not a strong preference of mine). I haven't even had to replace a flush valve yet. The first ones were installed in 2014. These toilets were around $100 when we bought them - I don't think you have to spend a lot unless you want to.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS