Mystery Jig

JosieAtSawtooth

Josie
Senior User
Hello! I'm looking for some help solving a mystery. Can any one tell me what this jig might be used for? It has been sitting in the Sawtooth Shop since before my time and no one has come up with a definitive answer. The top board is removable/ has a changeable position. My thought is that it's for use with a router, but I can't imagine what. I am able to add more pics if necessary. Thanks for your ideas!

- Josie

IMG_9709.jpg
IMG_9709.jpg

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
That looks like a jig I made to create a seat shape. The seat faces down and sideways and there is a second part that is guided in the relief cut in the top part. The seat top is slid over the blade and does a pivot where the center of the top part is cut to a V. After each run the top is moved on the pegs to cut the next little bit and so on. It leaves a pommel in the middle. Will see if I can find the video I got it from.... found it "carve a chair seat on the tablesaw with Mario Rodriguez".

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
On the subject of seats produced in this way: interesting video from Mathias Wandel where he concludes it doesn't produce a very comfortable seat. Watch from about 4:55 onwards.

I can't say from personal experience, but I did notice that Mario Rodriguez's hand-carved seats - in the video Hitch posted - use a much flatter butt profile with a much shorter "pommel" than what he produced from the table saw jig. That seems to echo Wandel's assessment.

It still seems to me the table saw jig might be useful for removing the bulk of the waste material, even if there is still significant handwork required to make a comfortable scooped seat.

Other thoughts/opinions?

-Mark

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
That's a pretty ingenious jig design. I can see it requiring some cleanup afterword's but so would carving and that to a much greater degree.

JosieAtSawtooth

Josie
Senior User
On the subject of seats produced in this way: interesting video from Mathias Wandel where he concludes it doesn't produce a very comfortable seat. Watch from about 4:55 onwards.

I can't say from personal experience, but I did notice that Mario Rodriguez's hand-carved seats - in the video Hitch posted - use a much flatter butt profile with a much shorter "pommel" than what he produced from the table saw jig. That seems to echo Wandel's assessment.

It still seems to me the table saw jig might be useful for removing the bulk of the waste material, even if there is still significant handwork required to make a comfortable scooped seat.

Other thoughts/opinions?

-Mark
Thanks for this video! I'm planning on trying out the jig and already have a blank glued up. I'll write in to confirm whether its comfy or not when I've tried it out. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors