My friends archway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Earlier I posted pictures of the staircase in my friends old house.
The other striking feature of the living room/dining room is the arch that separates them.

This is the archway looking from the staircase down the room:

ben023-1.jpg

This is the top of the arch. Note the Dutchmen, and the dovetailing on the crosspieces:

ben024-1.jpg

The arch at the top is identical on both sides. Block of wood that the star/crescent are on are both dovetailed as well:

ben025-1.jpg

This is the carving at the top of the arch, looking up at iit from below. The man who did this work last name started with "S":

ben032-1.jpg

On the dining room side of the arch, he incorporated glass fron cabinets for dishes:

ben027-1.jpg

ben028-1.jpg

ben026-1.jpg

On the living room side, the builder made book shelves below the cabinet:

ben042-1.jpg

Ben325e

New User
Ben
And to think that I feel a sense of pride when I look but can't see where I patched a hole in the drywall of my closet....

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
If it was my house, Id take the screws out of the carving , slide it off the dovetails and see whats hideing up there. Looks like the perfect hideing place for something. R.K.

JonT

New User
Jon
Stunning bit of work! I can't even imagine where I'd begin on a project like that. Wow...

Glennbear

Glenn
Fascinating, reminds me of a photo tour of a Stickley built house. When one stops to think that construction predates CAD design it is even more impressive. :wsmile:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Sometimes I see nice work like that in a house and cry. Not because it is so nice, or because I can't do it...but because eventually some moron is going to move in and paint it all white :wconfused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS