My First Intarsia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I wanted to try something different, so I decided to make this dolphin intarsia for my Mom's upcoming birthday. While I don't expect to become an expert intarsia-ist (?) I thought that a project or two in this would make me a better woodworker. There are some unique skills that are necessary and I also hope that it will help in future inlay projects (whatever they may be).

So..here it is...cherry, maple and walnut(eyes). My favorite parts of this project were:
(1) picking the wood and trying to find the 'right' grain. I was very excited to find the speckled maple as I thought it was true to the dolphin.
(2) shaping the wood to add curve/depth. That actually took a lot longer than I thought, but was a lot of fun to see it come to life.

dolphins3.jpg

Oh..yah...I also turned the eyes just to say I used the lathe to complete it..ha..and to give them cross grain instead of end grain...fwiw.

Oh...forgot to add...pattern is from Judy Gale Roberts (http://www.intarsia.com)

Cheers,
Chris

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Chris that turned out great!

And to think you thought you shouldn't post it. That turned out 100x's better than mine would've.

CMaddox

New User
CMaddox
Nicely done! I really like the way you used the grain to define space and give a 'light-through-water' texture especially on the fins and along the back and tail of the dolphin in the forefront. Wonderful work, Chris.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Allright Chris:eusa_clap:eusa_clap that looks great - if this is your first I can't wait to see the next one that comes off of you wrok bench

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Chris that turned out great!

And to think you thought you shouldn't post it. That turned out 100x's better than mine would've.

Well...it's no Monticello and I'm no Mike (wdkits1) :rotflm:

Thanks all for the kind remarks ;-)

Chris

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Very nice! You've been busy dude. Keep those projects coming they all look great :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Chris, those are really well done, you picked the grain perfectly. Very inspiring, makes me want to try some myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS