Attachments

• inbound5967210949934595401.jpg
    inbound5967210949934595401.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 221

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
from her facebook post

i create my own finish, then i "finish the finish" which i haven't done yet but will post a follow up.
To create the stain i use 1 teaspoon of ferric nitrate to 6 teaspoons of denatured alcohol, apply 1 thin layer, wait about 5 minutes, then i apply heat with a heat gun at 500 degrees. The longer you apply heat the darker and more orange it turns. It darkens the curl and creates color in the wood. I let it rest for 7 days before applying mohawk spray laquor. The top right now only has 1 coat. When i finish it i will post a new pic.. probably in about a week . Thank you. I got this idea from watching epic woodworking on youtube... pretty neat stuff !

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
MIke, that really looks awesome; I have never heard of using ferric nitrate. Maple can be a challenge to darken, but you did a masterful job. With the orange color and stripes you have a "tiger maple" tabletop.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
This is nitric acid with iron added and mixed. Warning do this outside and use a glass bottle to mix it in. You can use lots of different mixes but start out with a lean mix and try for the color you like. Like the others have mentioned, you have to do some heating to get the color you want. If it isn't too dark you stop, and wash it with a damp rag to see what it will look like with a finish applied. This is a common coloring rifle makers used in the 18th century. Its not a quick stain to work with. It is an extraordinary finish for bringing out the stripes in curly maple. One thing about this that has not been mentioned-- when you apply the acid mix, it turns the maple an ugly green. Don't panic just apply the heat and the magic happens. I don't like blow guns for heat. I have a forge that I use to make rifle parts. I put an iron bar in the coal and turn it orange. Then I hold the bar 2-3 inches above the rifle and that provides the heat needed. Now the last piece of information with acid coloring. You have to neutralize it with baking soda to keep it from turning black after a while. Do not ignore this step or you will be surprised in a month. So why did the old timers go to all this trouble you ask? An acid stain does not fade from sunlight. Good luck with your tests

Attachments

• 100_0148.JPG
    100_0148.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS