A week ago yesterday I was a bit down. My church had canceled the Sunday service and also my volunteer activities for Monday. So I went and bought some softwood at HD to make a dresser for my kids. The bed and other furniture in that room is all softwood. I was going to buy 12 foot 1x10s or 1x12s, figuring they would be better but the 8 footers were really nice so I bought 5 of those. This is what I have done so far (it is upside down and lacks a top and drawers at the moment). I also decided it was a good opportunity to use my Domino more. So all the horizontal and vertical dividers are put together with 6mm x 40 mm tenons I made of scraps. They are joined to the ends with tenons of the same size and with screws and glue. That means I fastened long grain to cross grain so I may get some cracking of that joint. But I will apply finish to both sides of the ends and hope for the best. I put on the first coat of shellac a few minutes ago and hope to get the top glued up later today. But I will put on another coat of shellac first. I have 2 of the 1x12s left which will make the top and at least a start on the drawers. The internal frames are largely other scraps I had hanging around I wanted to use up. The bottom is totally that sort of wood. The legs are from a piece of wood the loaders at McKittrick Lumber threw in to keep some maple from sliding out of my trailer. It was almost black but cleaned up nicely with a few trips through the planner and was the 1 3/4 thickness I needed. The front and side stretchers are from some softwood that covers the walls in my great room. The back stretcher came out of a closet we took down. For me it is an enjoyable way to keep busy.
420.5 KB Views: 104
741.4 KB Views: 101