Moving Wood (w/pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
In anticipation of moving the Hobie Cat into the garage for the winter I had to remove about 150+ bft of Oak and 150+ bft of Eastern Red Cedar that had been stacked and stickered for drying. I dusted off my I-beam hoist and quickly lifted the wood up to my shop. Since the wood was now sufficiently dry, I stacked it in my vertical wood rack. I still need to add safety chains to the ends of the pipe.

The ERC is on the far left, Red Oak, more ERC, and the last of my White Oak on the right (gotta talk to my wood guy about getting some QSWO).

P9240002.JPG

All that is left to clean up in the garage is a pile of stickers:

P9240003.JPG

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Must be nice to be able to "dust off the hoist" and move the wood up!! Does that take all the fun out of it? :lol: :lol:

You have a pretty nice stash there, Alan. :icon_thum

Chuck

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Thats a good looking stash of wood. Just a question will the heat vent there cause any moisture to build up on the ends of the boards.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would say you are running a little low. Time to stock up!

How many board feet do you think you can get in your vertical rack?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I would say you are running a little low. Time to stock up!

How many board feet do you think you can get in your vertical rack?

A rough guestimate of the max capacity with optimum lengths and widths for all slots is between 600 - 700 bft. It is easier to sort through if each slot is not full, so the ideal load would be more like 500 bft. What you see there now is a mix of different thicknesses, widths, and lengths. The oak is mostly 5/4 while the cedar is 4/4. The pipe arms are 16" long, yet most of the stock is 12" or narrower. The boards on the left side are 8' long.

I have nothing left in the garage and plan to keep it that way by moving my air drying outside- probably dry better there in the wind anyway. Of course I'm still trying to get my wood guy to pick up "our" solar kiln that has been waiting for us for almost a year! It will be located on his farm- nearer to where he cuts wood. He wanted me to have it, but I think my neighbors would object, and it would be hard to get lumber to it in my back yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS