Moving and Building But in the mean time what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekwon80

New User
joe
So we're moving to raleigh from durham and my current wood shop is in my garage. We've already moved into a tiny apartment while our house is being built, but what on earth am I supposed to do with my shop?

Does anyone know of any spaces that rent out for a decent price? I'm just a hobbyist so I can't join a coop for $500 a month. But at the same time I want to continue to work on some projects!

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Moving and Building But int he mean time what do I do?

Joe:
just to clarify, are you looking for a shop rental, or a storage place? I think you are looking for a shop rental. Your tools or already equipped? In Raleigh or in Durham?
Not that I have any ideas on rentals, I just want to clarify for others.

Henry

joekwon80

New User
joe

That's correct. I'm looking for a shop rental. I'd rather do a shop rental than store my tools for a year. But, it may have to be that way at least until the house is built.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

So you want to rent so many square feet equipped with heating, air, and electrical. Move the tools and set up a temporary shop with a 1 year lease?

Make a few calls to Raleigh area realtors specializing in commercial real estate-not office space. Good luck and keep us posted. It's an interesting proposition.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

Find someone to share the space and rent with you.

joekwon80

New User
joe

I like these ideas!

Definitely going to seek out some commercial spaces! And if I can't will try to do a split.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

I was in the same situation (in Durham at the Yorktown apartments) in the late '70s. Got a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it to fit on top of the tub in the spare bathroom. Amazing what you can make sitting on the toilet in a spare bathroom:wink_smil

joekwon80

New User
joe

Hahaha that's amazing Tarhead. Talk about efficient use of space.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member

Someone just posted about a shop space 'sublet'. Thought about your thread and wanted to be sure you saw it.

joekwon80

New User
joe

Thanks Berta,

Just messaged! Thanks for the heads up.

--Joe

Volksdad

New User
Glen

Joe:
when I had a shop airbrushing I rented a storage facility on Primavera court in Raleigh off of Capital blvd. they had plenty of spaces, and electricity. Iirc, one of my neighbors ran a small cabinet shop out of a 10x10.

I thought it it was odd, that these businesses were all running out of storage units, but apparently it's just the way it's done here, as it never gets too cold. Ample runs it now, I believe.

The he address for some of the larger businesses there is 5608 primavera court. Ample is 5604. HTH.

glen

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake

Good luck with commercial space unless you're building to see or are making a fair amount of money doing what you do for a career it's expensive. You could like the others said find someone to go split the cost with you but you're still looking at a good bit of money. You could always find a storage place that allows you do to such things in the storage units. Sounds far fetched but it's possible and it's much cheaper that renting commercial space. Just look around. But if you do have to store the equipment put it temp/humidity controlled unit with plenty of wax on everything or it'll come out looking like it's from the 60's.

joekwon80

New User
joe

Yeah, I'm just a hobbyist so it's really about cost effectiveness. I don't make any money doing woodworking I just do it because it keeps me busy and productive when I'm not working. I'm hoping that I can at least set up shop somewhere to make the cabinets for the house I'm having built. I figure if I spend less money on rent than the price of cabinets I'll come out on top!

Volksdad

New User
Glen

Do they run 220 power? All my main tools are 220.

If you're still looking, I'd run by and take a look. I do believe that they had 220, there's an auto repair shop, a m/c repair shop and a bunch of other guys welding and working with pretty robust machinery. There is another place like it on spring forest road not far from departure drive. I think the one on primavera is more of what you might be looking for though.

I specifically rented a shop that was 20x50?... Not quite sure how deep. I split the cost with an upholsterer. You might find one of the tenants willing to share a spot with you.

Hth

glen

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake

Yeah, I'm just a hobbyist so it's really about cost effectiveness. I don't make any money doing woodworking I just do it because it keeps me busy and productive when I'm not working. I'm hoping that I can at least set up shop somewhere to make the cabinets for the house I'm having built. I figure if I spend less money on rent than the price of cabinets I'll come out on top!
Yeah I would just see about a storage place that allows you do use the electricity. I've seen a bunch of stuff online about people having wood shops based out of storage units some of them were really nice. It'll be more than a regular storage unit but less than a shop and no lease involved either. Good luck and make sure you build yourself a shop at you new house!

joekwon80

New User
joe

Oh how I wish I could have a shop be part of the plans, but sadly, finances do not allow. How much would a standalone shop cost anyways if I built it myself with a 25x25 foot print? I've got most all the tools I'd need and just enough electrical knowledge to kill myself.

nn4jw

New User
Jim

By the time I paid for grading, tree removal, wiring, lighting, permits and all that my 24x24 story and a half garage shop ran me on the order of $35,000 two years ago. Unfinished, uninsulated, bare concrete floor. YMMV.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake

Oh how I wish I could have a shop be part of the plans, but sadly, finances do not allow. How much would a standalone shop cost anyways if I built it myself with a 25x25 foot print? I've got most all the tools I'd need and just enough electrical knowledge to kill myself.
Our first shop that we are in now 28wx24lx16h slant roof and we built it for a little over 2000 bucks! But we saved up coil lumber from home depot for about a year the only thing we had to pay full price was the block foundation, ply wood, roofing, and nails. The shop we are about to start building in Pleasant Garden will be 65lx40hx16h with poured floor the raised a lot it's going to be about 35,000 once it's said and done but that's because it'll all be paid labor and paying full price for everything. We're going to start on it around August once everything clears. You'd be surprised at what you can build for a little bit of money if you just save up the wood 5 or 2x6s and 2x4s each trip to home depot over a year will just about set you up a nice shop. A lot of people are against using coil lumber for structures but if you take your time with it you can get everything square and looking good. No one will know the difference but you.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Joe,
Did you see this;
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=51530

I think it is reasonable - and perhaps you can negotiate the price down from .70 / sq.ft. but it that includes heat and electricity - you might just make out ahead of the game!

Somehow this got posted in the wrong thread yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS