Mover Recommendations for Shop Move From Charlotte to VA

TomInNC

New User
Tom
Has anyone on here used Charlotte-based movers for woodshop equipment recently? It looks like I will likely be moving from north of Charlotte to Blacksburg, VA this summer (about 150 miles). My employer is providing relocation funds, but it's up to me to find the movers. If possible, I'd really like to use someone that has moved shop equipment before. I started calling around, and most of the residential movers just said "sure, we can handle that" without even knowing what the machines were.

I will move all of the small tools myself, so I really just need help with: a Sawstop PCS, an 8 inch jointer, a 15 inch planer, a 14 inch bandsaw, a floor standing 20 inch drill press. Everything has been purchased in the past 3 years, so I would be reluctant to sell anything at this point.

Any other pointers on the move process are welcome.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I relocated my shop equipment about 4 years ago, actually twice, from my old shop tp storage and then from storage to the new shop after it was built. I put all of my equipment on pallets and then its easily loaded/unloaded with a pallet jack and a lift gate. I used a local company called "little guys moving" , I think that almost any movers would do it as long as its palletized however.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
use a reputable company like United. it costs a little more but they are much better at moving large stuff. Or like Chris said, put it on pallets.

Jim Roche

jim
User
No one is going to take care of your equipment like you would yourself. I moved from Raleigh to Advance NC 2 years ago to house I rented before buying a house in Thomasville NC and ended up moving all my equipment myself. With the equipment you listed, you could rent a truck and move it yourself with the help of a friend or hire someone to help you. It sounds like all your equipment would fit it a 15 ft truck and Penske rents those that and they come with a hydraulic lift. The lift and heavy duty handtruck, you'll be well on your way. I'd purchase several ratchet straps 2+ per machine, depending on the machine.

If the weather is good on moving day, you could aways rent a trailer from Uhaul and go that route. The good thing about the trailer is that it's lower to the ground, just make sure you get one with a ramp for easier offloading.

Good Luck,

Jim

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Can't help on mover recommendations, but I live just about 10 miles from Blacksburg in Fairlawn. I went to VT and have lived in the area for almost 30 years. If you have any questions on the area, let me know. I also have a sawmill and kiln if you need any lumber after you get settled in.

TomInNC

New User
Tom
Can't help on mover recommendations, but I live just about 10 miles from Blacksburg in Fairlawn. I went to VT and have lived in the area for almost 30 years. If you have any questions on the area, let me know. I also have a sawmill and kiln if you need any lumber after you get settled in.
Thanks so much. I might take you up on that once I get settled.

After looking online, it seems like a number of homes actually have shops of some sort. Hard to tell from pictures online if they are used for woodworking or not. Is woodworking pretty popular in the area?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Yes, woodworking and woodturning are very popular in the area. Have you already purchased a home? Homes in Blacksburg are fairly expensive compared to areas just a few miles outside of the town limits. Property taxes are also much less outside of town.

TomInNC

New User
Tom
Yes, woodworking and woodturning are very popular in the area. Have you already purchased a home? Homes in Blacksburg are fairly expensive compared to areas just a few miles outside of the town limits. Property taxes are also much less outside of town.
No, I haven't purchased a home yet. At this point I believe we would be looking for a place in Blacksburg or Christiansburg. The job is in Blacksburg, and I've been told that I should avoid relying on 81 to commute in at all costs.

As I understand it, there's "in-town" Blacksburg as well as a part of Montgomery County with a Blacksburg address that isn't within the town boundaries. Is that what you meant about lower property taxes?

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
You must work for a good company. When I relocated down to SC from up north the company refused to pay for my woodworking tools to be moved down. They paid for the household and claimed my shop equipment was only for business purposes and they refused to pay the freight. Problem was that I rarely occasionally sold some pieces, but they just lumped it all under one roof and claimed not their problem.

Good luck on your move! I've visited Blacksburg and it's quite a nice town.

TomInNC

New User
Tom
You must work for a good company. When I relocated down to SC from up north the company refused to pay for my woodworking tools to be moved down. They paid for the household and claimed my shop equipment was only for business purposes and they refused to pay the freight. Problem was that I rarely occasionally sold some pieces, but they just lumped it all under one roof and claimed not their problem.

Good luck on your move! I've visited Blacksburg and it's quite a nice town.
I guess I should clarify. I'm getting a lump sum for the relocation. I'm opting to put some of that towards the relocation.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I live in Roanoke and that's just a 50 minute drive down the mountain. Been here woodworking since 1972. Welcome to the area. What Brad said is right. There's a lot of woodworking going on in the area. The Woodcraft store is in Roanoke.

PhilErup

PhilErup
User
When I had to move my home office from Charlotte to a bit outside the city last year, I ran into similar challenges, especially since I had some bulky equipment too. I ended up using threemovers, and they were great at handling the special items. They actually listened and made sure they knew what they were moving, which gave me peace of mind. Their cost varied based on how much stuff I had and the distance, but for me, it was around $2,000. Planning ahead and getting estimates from a few companies really helped me find the best deal. Also, scheduling the move in advance was crucial to make sure they were available when I needed them.

Last edited:

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
When we moved from Minnesota to Tennessee we used ABF/ U Pack. They drop off a 28 foot trailer at your house. You have three days to load it. The trailer had a nice ramp. I needed help with my heavy tools. Everything else, I loaded myself.

UPack then takes the trailer to your new location. You have three days to unload it.

I ratchet strapped the heavy stuff. The trailer has many attatchment points for the straps.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS