Mothers Day Puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlrion

New User
Dan
This is for my mom, 80 piece puzzle on 1/4 baltic birch ply. The box is made out of Maple tops, and one solid piece of Walnut. It is not 4 pieces joined together but all cut from one 8/4 piece.
100_12991.JPG

View image in gallery

The picture is my Daughter on my Mom's lap, and my Niece on my Dad's lap.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Sweet work bro. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

What's your secret for getting such uniform pieces/shapes? I'd love to try tackling something like this, but I've yet to even set up the Hawk I got back before Christmas. :no:

Brian.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Really nice - that box is a wonderful touch. That's just been added to my some day list, maybe once my kids are old enough to help Grandma put it together.

dlrion

New User
Dan

What's your secret for getting such uniform pieces/shapes? I'd love to try tackling something like this, but I've yet to even set up the Hawk I got back before Christmas. :no:

Brian.

I bought Steve Good's Puzzle piece book for $7 it has I think 10 different sizes of picture. It is pretty good. Robert turned me on to Steve Good, who is AWESOME
www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com.

I put the picture on the 1/4 birch, and the Puzzle pattern on a different piece, and laminated them with clear packing tape, and just cut the pattern.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Sweet, thanks for sharing the tip, I'm going bookmark it. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Brian.

cskipper

Cathy

Brian.

That almost makes me speechless! (like that could actually happen - lol).

The puzzle is great! Are you using the FD puzzle saw blades? What are you using for a finish?

dlrion

New User
Dan
Cathy,
No I just used a FD# 3 because that is all I had. It worked alright, I should get some puzzle blades, but I was on a limited budget.... I had to work with what I already had.

I finished the box with poly, but the puzzle pieces I left unfinished because I put REALLY durable photo paper on them, and you are not supposed to put anything over the ink, or it may smear.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Dan, I watched the video and it was cool. I'm going to get a set of the templates and give it a try eventually, I'll butcher some scrap first since I've never used a SS.

After watching it crossed my mind that you were sort of "wasting" a piece of ply while doing the puzzle, even though you could use it and wouldn't be throwing it away. I wonder if you could do two at a time, with the pictures facing each other and the pattern on the bottom of one of them? Or do you think the pictures would stick to each other or would you not be able to get the template off of the bottom without messing up that one? :icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra

Just thinking of trying to get more bang for the buck and work.....i.e being cheap!!! :rotflm::rotflm:

Brian.

dlrion

New User
Dan
Yeah, actually that is a really good point, if you applied both of the photo's spraying both the wood and the photopaper, and only sprayed one really light coat on the template, it would be easy to remove the template from the bottom of one of the puzzles with a heat gun. A little time consuming perhaps, but who cares about 15 extra minutes when you just spent 2 hours on the cutting.

That is a really good idea actually.

Dan

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I actually thought you could put a piece of wax paper or the like between the two pics to make sure they didn't stick together.

Granted I also could just put the "waste" puzzle back together and let the kids draw on both sides of it and then topcoat with spray poly and let them have a blast with it. No real waste that way either:icon_thum

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS