Molding Bit: Where To Find

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I need to replace a couple of cabinet doors in my kitchen, but in order to do this I will need to put molding around the interior edges of the raised panel doors. The edge is shaped like the screen grab that I have posted below. Is this molding made from a specific router bit or does it involve a multi-step process? Any assistance you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 8.15.14 PM.png

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Probably a multi step process. Molding performed first, and the sawn free from stock. A shaper could cut all in one pass. After pricing out cutter, all new cabinet doors would be cheaper. Check MLSC's catalogue and see what they offer in router bits.

Reactions: drw

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I may have a multi profile bit in that configuration. size may be wrong. I got it at a Rockler going out of business sale years ago. It's living in my shaper now so let me know the width of the molding you are needing. If this bit is correct you are welcome to come run whatever amount you need one evening or weekend.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I may have a multi profile bit in that configuration. size may be wrong. I got it at a Rockler going out of business sale years ago. It's living in my shaper now so let me know the width of the molding you are needing. If this bit is correct you are welcome to come run whatever amount you need one evening or weekend.

Fred, thank you for the offer...it appears that the molding is made from a 0.75" x 0.75" piece. I have a feeling that this is smaller than what your shaper bit is designed to work with.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
When making a molding like this I would run the edge of a wide board then rip off the moulded edge. Then I would cut the dado from the back. Or dadi then rip.

Reactions: drw

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That type of mould is commonly called a bolection moulding.
Yes, matching existing profiles like that will be a multi step process, but its easily enough done.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred, thank you for the offer...it appears that the molding is made from a 0.75" x 0.75" piece. I have a feeling that this is smaller than what your shaper bit is designed to work with.
It's a router bit. Multi profile.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Fred, if I just looked at the bit alone I don't think I would have seen it working, but seeing the resulting cut - I think it will work great! If it is okay with you, can I give you a call it a week or so and arrange a date/time to come by your shop? I'll bring 2 lengths of 0.75" x 4" x 6' ash (the cabinets will be painted) which should yield 24' of moulding.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
That type of mould is commonly called a bolection moulding.
Yes, matching existing profiles like that will be a multi step process, but its easily enough done.

Thank you, Bob; I appreciate you providing the name and the encouragement.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors