Moisture meters????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am looking to get a moisture meter. There are many that I look at all glassy eyed and drooling, but the reality is I can't spend $300 on a meter.
So I am looking at the Lignomat Minis. They are priced in my budget ~$100-150 and seem to be good quality meters.
I have my eye on the Lignomat E/D
and the Lignomat S/D

The only difference I can between them, other than $20 in cost is that the S/D can be used to read moisture content in stuff like drywall and other building materials. I don't need that function. On the other hand I can barely find any reviews on the E/D, but find a lot of excellent reviews on the S/D.
Am I missing something here? Why is the S/D much more popular than the E/D?
Any opinions from the brain trust, especially owners of either model?
TIA,
Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Hey Dave, I do not yet own a meter but I would like to get the Lignomat E/D. Hartville Tool currently has it on sale for $95 with free shipping. This is the best price that I have seen.

BobN

New User
Bob
Dave, I have the Lignomat E meter. I have had it about 4 years now and have been very happy with it.

About 3 years ago we had a water pipe brust and flooded the family room and hall. The insurance company sent a crew out to check the damage. They had some very fancy moisture meters, I ask about them and was told that they ran about $500 -$600. Well I followed them around with my little Miniligno and got the same readings that they did.

I guess the Lignomat E/D and S/D are later models since mine is 4 years old. If the new ones are as good as the one I have you can't go wrong.

Bob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dave, whatever you ultimately decide to purchase, be sure that it's depth of reading matches up to your needs.

If you primarily work with 4/4 wood, you'll need one with at least a 1/2" reading depth.

Rob

New User
Rob
I have the ED, just recently purchased it, it has probes both 1/4" and 1/2" with it, works well for me. I purchased it at Klingspors.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Scott, do you know of a meter that has a greater depth of reading at his price point? I would think that anything greater would require one of those slide hammer attachments or a more expensive pinless model. I know that the Lignomats have the option of a slide-hammer for an additional $100 or so. Another feature of some of the more expensive models is the adjustment for different species of wood. I don't know if this warrants the additional cost. I plan on purchasing one in the not too distant future (please don't tell Michelle :eusa_hand) and would like the ability to measure 8/4. I thought that the E/D would be sufficient and it is within a reasonable cost. Inquiring minds want to know!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike, the meter that I use the most is a Merlin pinless, made in Austria. I have the sawmill model which will read to a depth of 1.5" (good for up to 16/4 boards), FactoryNew sells them for $439.00. It's accuracy is great. They sell the "Fine Wood" model (1/2" - 3/4" scan depth) for $299.00

Delmhorst is the standard for kiln operators, and you need the slide hammer attachment for anything greater than 5/4 - 6/4 boards.

I have a J2000X model, which is an outstanding meter. In addition to species adjustments, it also allows you to compensate for temperature (important in a kiln). Nyle sells these with the slide hammer for $430.00

Nyle also sell's Delmhorst's Accuscan pinless meter for $295.00. It's good for up to a 6/4 - 8/4 board.

FactoryNew also sell's Merlin's MoistTec 2 in 1 small pin-type model for $69.00 I'm not familiar with this model, but Merlin has an outstanding reputation for accuracy and this strikes me as an incredibly good deal.

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
All this talk about meters got me thinking. I know, I know, Thinking almost always get's me in trouble!

What is the moisture content of most live or recently cut trees? I imagine it will vary by species.

What % is required for woodworking?

11% seems to ring a bell.

Thanks,
Jeff

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
All this talk about meters got me thinking. I know, I know, Thinking almost always get's me in trouble!

What is the moisture content of most live or recently cut trees? I imagine it will vary by species.

What % is required for woodworking?

11% seems to ring a bell.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff, green lumber is usually 50% - 60% MC, depending upon species.

Furniture grade lumber is typically between 6% - 10% MC. Exterior or framing lumber is typically 14% - 18%.

Most folks match the lumber MC% up to the environment that the piece being worked on will live in. So, if it will be an interior piece, they will perform the woodworking when the wood is below 10% MC.

There is some flexibility depending upon the nature of the piece and the wood being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS