moisture meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

New User
Phil Capper
I need a new one and I know there have been a lot of technical upgrades in the past few years. What do you'all think is the best one/deal?
thanks
Phil

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
man let me know when you get one and decide. Better yet let me know what your getting and maybe we can get a discount. Buy in mass, we need to do that more here. Be blessed

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Phil said:
I need a new one and I know there have been a lot of technical upgrades in the past few years. What do you'all think is the best one/deal?
thanks
Phil

Phil,

Are you wanting a Cadillac or a Pinto? Delmhorst seems to be one of the top of the line brands ( $250 +) Wagner makes one which uses electromagnetic waves which are supposed to penetrate approximately 3/4" for around $250. Lee Valley has a couple for sale that are considerably cheaper but since I'm no expert, I can't comment on any of them, good or bad. I would think that the pin type would be hard to penetrate some of the harder woods to the extent that they say you have to in order to get an accurate reading. I believe that the advice is to take multiple readings around the board in order to get a good feel as to the real moisture content. I think one would be a good investment but haven't got the bug yet. Let us know what you decide on.

Here is a link with a lot to choose from. http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/002-8303914-5256052?node=553270

MIke

Mountaincraft

New User
William
It's not a pinto, but it is a jeep. The timber checker (pin type, no digital stuff) has been around for ever. It has a comprehensive chart to convert readings for wood that does not have the same conduction as normal hardwoods for this area. It is accurate (with a little skill), and it never gives a misread. Sells commonly for about $70.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
American Woodworker did a review a while back, I'll see if I can lay my hands on it. Some of the cheaper ones actually did very well IIRC.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I dito MountainCraft. My moisture meter has pins, cost me around $60 and works great. I purchase my lumber from a small lumberyard. I have to air dry so a moisture meter is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS