Robert
It's way past time for me to get a decent moisture meter
A reliable hand held one that doesn't bust the budget would be ideal
Anyone have any input on this ?

Thanx for any and all discussion :icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have been pleased with the mini lignomat I got at klingspore. I believe it was under 150.00. I got the pin type because it is used mostly on rough lumber and paul recomended it.

fred

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Robert: I have the Delmhorst J-Lite meter. It's been OK for my needs. Has LED readout only and runs around $150 I believe. Check Amazon, you might find it cheaper.

It's a "pin type" meter similar to what Fred has, I think.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Bro: Definitely check Amazon. There's meters on there from $20> so you should be able to find something. I personally believe that a pin type meter is best for what we do.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I had the same needs. I buy and air dry a lot of my wood from a friend with a sawmill. I never knew when it was dry. I just started a project with some of the cherry. Decided I had to have a moisture meter. Searched ebay for awhile and ended up placing 2 bids on 2 different meters. Both look brand new with boxes, paperwork, etc. from ex-woodworkers. One was sold by the family from the grandfathers estate. (that is what will happen when I die, all my tools will probably be sold on ebay by my kids). Either or, I felt liked I got a good deal. Didn't expect to win both, but still have less than the price of a new wagner in both of them. One is a pin style (Mini-Lig) and the Merlin is pinless. So, I use the pinless for finished lumber and the pin for unfinished stock. Both read very close to the same each time I have tried them to compare readings. I researched the Merlin before bidding, it is made in Switzerland and list over $300, got it for $84 and the Mini-Lig for $53. So, maybe you could get lucky and get a deal through an auction.
Mini-Lig53.jpg

Merlin.JPG

sapwood

New User
Roger
Do not, I repeat DO NOT buy the HF moisture meter. The accuracy is ok, but the build is flimsy and after a couple of uses the pins get loose :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors