Moisture Meter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
At Lowe's today I saw this moisture meter from General Tools for $29.98. I've never owned one

http://generaltools.com/Products/Digital-LCD-and-LED-Moisture-Meter__MMD4E.aspx

because I felt the prices were too high. But this is in my price range (okay, I'm cheap, I admit it. :gar-Bi) While I like the price, I'm also reminded of that old adage, "You get what you pay for."

So, before I buy it I'd like to know if anyone has any experience w/ this particular meter? It says it has an accuracy of +/- 3%. How does that compare to some of the more expensive models?

MMD4E-L.jpg

Thanks for the help,

Bill

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Delmhorst has basically set the industry standard for many years. There has been many a disagreement over my moisture meter says X and yours says Y.

I had to drive all the way to the coast (3 hours one way) to pick up and refund some quartersawn white oak that I sold someone, who called and said the moisture content was 14% and wanted a refund.
When I got there it was stacked outside under plastic and was wet. To top it off this persons dog bit me on the arm as I was loading up the lumber in the back of my pickup truck. I tested the lumber before I sold it to the person with my Delmhorst and it ranged between 6~8% and certainly was not wet. That experience was the deciding factor that all the lumber I sold from there on out is as is. I adopted the motto if you don't like it please don't buy it.

It's up to you what you spend your money on - but just beware it may or may not be accurate and I would not trust it's reading.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, I don't have a Delmhorst, and I am cheap too. But I did spend over $100 for my moisture meter.

With a cheap meter you might as well be guessing. The difference between 8% and 11% could ruin a project.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Here is something to consider from the marketing side of things; are they saying that it is accurate within +/- 3% or +/- 3 percentage points; big difference...

However based on my experience with meters, gauges, etc you do get what you pay for. I had a $10 stud finder once and couldn't understand why I never hit the stud; luckily it got crushed by an accidental hammer drop and replaced with a $45 one mid project. As soon as I got it home I saw that this one was registering differently on the same studs and miraculously I found them all from then on out.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. Sounds like we're all on the same page when it comes to, "You get what you pay for." That's why I posted the question here before I took a chance on it.

Jeff, your experience w/ the wet wood was pretty rotten. Hope it wasn't a fellow NCWW member. :no:

Bill

Chipper

New User
Steve
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll go get one at that price. I hear all of the units are calibrated for Doug. Fir and the more expensive units have some settings for various woods. I'm sure a correction chart would work for me on the cheaper units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS