Moisture Meter opinions

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I remember buying some walnut one time and one of the guys was using a pinless meter, he kept saying the wood was wet and everybody was laughing at him. All the pin meters were saying 8% but his pinless was saying 26% or something in that area...

When I got it home and cut into it water ran out.

Haven't trusted a pin meter since then.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I remember buying some walnut one time and one of the guys was using a pinless meter, he kept saying the wood was wet and everybody was laughing at him. All the pin meters were saying 8% but his pinless was saying 26% or something in that area...

When I got it home and cut into it water ran out.

Haven't trusted a pin meter since then.

I kind of suspected that the pinless meters were perhaps more accurate because of the way that they detect moisture vs a pin meter. With a pin meter the pins can only penetrate the wood surface a little bit and the %moisture is a resistance reading across the tips of the two pins. The pinless meters also come with a significantly higher price!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The pins work fine IF you make a new cut into the board. Either cut one edge at least an inch off or cut the 3-4 inches of the end off.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Has that method restored your trust in a pin meter? I thought pin meters were used to get a surface reading from the face of a board.

That is the standard practice and in theory it works, in practice it fails if the board is not in equilibrium. In other words- if the board is lower or higher in moisture at the center than on the outside the meter will give a false reading. Being aware of that shortfall you can compensate by getting to the center or at least away from the outside of the board.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS