Mohawk Duracoat Pre Cat Lacquer. Need Spraying Tips/Comments Before I Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I just picked up a gallon of Mohawk Duracoat pre cat lacquer (M610-24407) and a can of E-Z Vinyl Sealer. Anyone have any tips or comments to offer on this product before I go spray it later this week? These products were recommended to me at Klingspor’s in Hickoy. Great bunch of guy’s there. I have the Earlex HV5500 spray system. A couple of questions that I have are;

• I have a 1.5 and a 2.0 spray needle. Which one will work best?
  • The lacquer says to sand between coats. I thought lacquer burned into the previous coat?

Anything else I should know please chime in. I did not have the best of luck spraying a kitchen project I did last year using a different manufacturer’s brand of lacquer so I am a bit nervous.

Thanks for all and any help.

Red

Skymaster

New User
Jack
dont spray it straight out of can; should cut it at least 25% with lacq thinner. AVOID high humidity, it could "blush" if so you wood have to strip and start over. Multiple light coats, scuff with a scotch brite pad between. YES it will "burn" into other coat but you want last coat to be smooth without dust nibs, hence a light scuffing, wipe good and clean: repeat till you have buildup and sheen as you want

wayne

New User
wayne
Pre-cat lacquer should be at spraying viscosity straight out of the can therefore does not need thinning.

If you google Mohawk Duracoat pre-cat lacquer their website should come up and will probably have a tech sheet available that will give you all the application specifics.

Be sure you wear an approved charcoal mask as it is going to be some nasty stuff as far as fumes are concerned and you don't want to breathe the stuff. If shop is attached to house pick a decent day and spray it outside as you don't want it in your house (health hazard) no one needs to be breathing this stuff.

As far as gun tips I would suggest starting with the smaller needle setup on a scrap piece and if output is not sufficient (proper atomization) then move up to larger needle setup, 1.2 should be sufficient though. Tech sheet on the web site should give optimum setup for gun along with suggested air pressure range.

Haven't sprayed that much pre-cat but I would think that being it is catalyzed it probably is not going to be as susceptible to blushing as nitrocellulose or acrylic lacquers would be.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I add 10-15% retarder. It delays the drying time just enough to allow the product to flow out. pre cat dries extremely fast. don't rush to the next coat to soon. I usually give it 1/2 hour or so between coats and a light sanding between makes for a much smoother finish. I use a 1.3 or a 1.5 needle [depending on whats in the gun.] 2.0 is too big for lacquer IMO.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. I'll be spraying sometime this week or next.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS