Mobile base sale at Rockler - $29.99!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Just got the email from Rockler. They have the mobile base kit for sale at $29.99 here: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383.;-)

This is a great deal, I just ordered 2 of 'em. Combined with free shipping (promo code V8717, I think, check an earlier thread) it is one heck of a bargain.:bbiggrin:

BTW, if anyone has used these you don't necessarily need to use hardwood stretchers to put it together. I saw a post somewhere from a guy that used strips of 3/4'' plywood laminated together to make 1.5'' thick stretchers. He claims they are stronger than single pieces of hardwood and much cheaper. I believe it! I'm going to try that when I get my bases and I'll post to let everyone know how it turns out.:cool:

KC7CN

New User
Don
Snooze and you loose! I decided to order this base today (11/28/07) at 6:30PM PST, and was greeted with PROMO SOLD OUT. Item is listed at $49.00 Due on Dec 28th. I received the email this morning at 7:30AM.

BUMMER!
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

-Don

Last edited:

KC7CN

New User
Don
Well, the more I thought about this, the more I felt compelled to let Rockler know how I feel about the issue.

I sent them an email! I told them that I received their email this morning with the Santa's 2-Day Deal sale - and discovered they were sold out when I went to place an order for the mobile base at the end of the day. I stated that I could understand how they might be out-of-stock, but what I don't understand is why they are not honoring the sale price (for the next shipment), for the 2-day period.

Am I wrong to feel this way? I'll let you know what their response is.

-Don

Badabing

New User
Joe
I think you're absolutely right to feel that way. They should honor the deal for the two days they advertise it for! Besides, even if they have fine print that says otherwise, it doesn't hurt to ask. I've found that when you take the time to bother someone at a retailer with a question, they will usually take the time to help or fix a problem. Rockler has been good to me that way in the past so good luck!

Let us know what happens...

KC7CN

New User
Don
.....I've found that when you take the time to bother someone at a retailer with a question, they will usually take the time to help or fix a problem. Rockler has been good to me that way in the past so good luck!

Let us know what happens...

I received a nice reply to my email early this morning. Rockler apologized for the issue on the 92051 Mobile Base and went on to state they had limited quantities to sell at the $29.99 price. However, since I am an important customer, they made an exception, and will honor my order for one base at the sale price.

I am encouraged by this response! I consider ROCKLER a major resource for my woodworking hobby supplies.

-Don

Badabing

New User
Joe
Well, I got my bases delivered today. As I said, I'm going to use plywood instead of hardwood for the stretchers. Don, I thought this might interest you since you have one ordered too ;-)

Here are some pics of what I have so far:

The package contents for one base:

The lamination dry fit (1/4'' luan sandwiched between two pieces of 3/4'' plywood):

The glue ups:

I'm making a 30'' x 15'' mobile base for my Ridgid 6'' jointer. I'm hoping the base won't be too wide and get in the way while jointing. I have to make it a few inches wider than the jointer legs because of the way the base is designed. The next pictures (coming tomorrow) will show that reasoning better.

Hope this helps!

KC7CN

New User
Don
Hey Joe,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like a nice strong base. Mine is suppose to be delivered Dec 5th.

-Don

Badabing

New User
Joe
All done! I finally got the base all together with the plywood laminated stretchers. While the stretchers seem to be pretty strong, I'm not crazy about the quality of the mobile base itself. The platforms don't seem to be on the same plane once it's all together (despite the fact that I was very carefull about that part of it too). Anyway, I guess it'll work for now. My 6" Ridgid jointer is now mobile :eusa_danc

Here are the final pictures:

The stretchers trimmed square and cut to final length:

The mobile base on my Ridgid 6'' Jointer:

Here you can see why the base has to be at least this wide. It must accommodate the pedal operated caster on the front rail between the two corners:

Don, I hope that helps you out somehow! These bases are not the greatest to move heavy machines. I found that when the pedal caster is engaged, the whole base wants to wobble from side to side. Not a comfortable feeling when rolling around something heavy :roll:

KC7CN

New User
Don
Thanks again Joe. I will probably use some Alder for the runners. I plan to use the base on my Delta planer. It is on a steel frame Ridgid stand.

-Don

M

McRabbet

I'm not crazy about the quality of the mobile base itself. The platforms don't seem to be on the same plane once it's all together (despite the fact that I was very carefull about that part of it too).

Here you can see why the base has to be at least this wide. It must accommodate the pedal operated caster on the front rail between the two corners:

These bases are not the greatest to move heavy machines. I found that when the pedal caster is engaged, the whole base wants to wobble from side to side. Not a comfortable feeling when rolling around something heavy :roll:

Joe,

I've never heard very good things about mobile bases with three casters, as you've found out. Although twices as expensive, I've had excellent results with the Shop Fox Mobile bases I've purchased through Grizzly -- they are available in several sizes, each of which is adjustable across a broad range. They are made with heavy rectangular tubing and angle iron, making them stable and easy to roll. I have three of them -- under my jointer, my bandsaw and my 10" cabinet saw with a full side extension. Highly recommended.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Received my $29 Base

Just a follow up to say I received the base this evening. It appears to be worth the sale price. I'll post a picture when I get it all together and mounted on my Delta planer.

-Don

KC7CN

New User
Don
.... I found that when the pedal caster is engaged, the whole base wants to wobble from side to side. Not a comfortable feeling when rolling around something heavy :roll:

Do you have the jointer bolted to the stand?

-Don

Badabing

New User
Joe
Do you have the jointer bolted to the stand?

Nope, sure don't. I was thinking of using a piece of plywood cut to the same size as the base. I can bolt the jointer to that and see if it improves the balance :eusa_thin

garymuto

New User
Gary
for $30 I thought it was a good deal. I bought two. I inserted a plywood "insert to help manage the dust. For my closed stand jointer, which is narrow and a little top heavy, I bolted the plywood to each of the 4 steel corners and then bolted the jointer to the base. For my sander with splayed legs, I just let the sandersit on top of the plywood insert. I thought it would help keep the floor a little cleaner.

KC7CN

New User
Don
I don't have a picture to post yet, but I did get my base assembled yesterday. It's installed on my open-frame stand planer. I didn't like the idea of the foot-pedal sticking out the end (just be like me to trip on it). I reversed the foot pedal, so that it points inside the stand. I find it easy to put my foot inside the stand framework to raise and lower it.

I think this is a good stand for $29.99 It works for me!:mrgreen:

Last edited:

KC7CN

New User
Don
FYI: Email to Rockler

As you know, Rockler sold-out the promotional 2-day mobile base on the first day. As I stated in a previous post, I received a prompt reply to my email to customer service, and the offer to purchase the mobile base at the sale price.

But that was not the case for many other woodworkers! The link below is to a post on WoodNet regarding this issue. I took the initiative and contacted Scott Ekman, Director of Internet Marketing, and stated my concerns.

The link below is to the post with his reply (near the end).
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbth...=&Board=UBB2&Number=3381664&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

I feel good about his reply! He covered all the issues, and provided good explanations. I consider Rockler a valuable resource for this hobby!

-Don

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Did you guys in NC have sales tax added to the cost of your order? The reason I'm asking is today when I received my order for some other stuff, they added NC sales tax. As they are no longer physically present in the state, I question why? Maybe their business license from their Greensboro store runs through the end of the year (Dec 31), or the end of a fiscal year (June 30). Just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS