Miter Trimmer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I just picked up an old Dosch #4 miter trimmer.

For those who do not know, Peter Dosch invented the miter trimmer in the late 1800's and patented it in 1900. It's last incarnation was the Lion Miter Trimmer, manufactured and sold since at least 1925 until recently, by Pootatuck, in Massachussetts.

The problem, I didn't get a handle. Could someone who has a Dosch, Lion, or Grizzly/Chiwanese clone, please measure and post the length of the handle. Thanks.

c516_1.JPG

gator

George
Corporate Member
I would think that the length wouldn't really matter so long as it was 'long enough' to give you the leverage needed to pull through whatever thickness you have. The diameter would be the only critical dimension.

George

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I would think that the length wouldn't really matter so long as it was 'long enough' to give you the leverage needed to pull through whatever thickness you have. The diameter would be the only critical dimension.

George

True, but I would like a starting point, just for reference.

T

toolferone

I have the grizzly, but I am at the beach right now. I will be happy to do it for you when I get back if you still need it then.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Hey Alan, are you gonna paint it Delta grey ? :lol:

Jimmy:)

:rotflm::rotflm:

I resemble that remark! Not everything in my shop is "Delta Grey"! I do have a green Grizzly dual drum sander. Of course once I'm done tricking it out, who knows what color of grey it will end up? :-D:-D

Except for the fancy red and white label on the last Lion units Pootatuck sold, it looks like lamp black is the preferred color for the Dosch, Pootatuck, etc. trimmers:

lmt2.jpg

FYI, the Grizzly trimmer below looks to be an EXACT copy! Maybe that is why Pootatuck quit making and selling them.

g1690_det1.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
:rotflm::rotflm:

I resemble that remark! Not everything in my shop is "Delta Grey"! I do have a green Grizzly dual drum sander. Of course once I'm done tricking it out, who knows what color of grey it will end up? :-D:-D

Except for the fancy red and white label on the last Lion units Pootatuck sold, it looks like lamp black is the preferred color for the Dosch, Pootatuck, etc. trimmers:

lmt2.jpg

FYI, the Grizzly trimmer below looks to be an EXACT copy! Maybe that is why Pootatuck quit making and selling them.

g1690_det1.jpg

Grizzly has great products, but I guarantee that theirs won't work as well as yours. Old arn rocks.

Jimmy:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm keeping an eye on this thread cause I have the same dillema. I think mine is a woodcraft knockoff and I would prolly use it if I had a better handle on it. I made one but its a little short and I would also like to see details on an original.

fred p

T

toolferone

Okay, here are the specs on my Grizzly miter trimmer handle

17-9/16" long, about 3/4" thick, and 1-3/16" wide at the handle. There is a small dog leg at the bottom where it connects to the trimmer. That area is 2" long with a slight taper on the sides to match the taper on the trimmer. I hope this helps. I don't use the trimmer that often, so it would be easier to lend you the handle for modeling yours, I would be happy to do so Alan. Let us know how it works out.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Okay, here are the specs on my Grizzly miter trimmer handle

17-9/16" long, about 3/4" thick, and 1-3/16" wide at the handle. There is a small dog leg at the bottom where it connects to the trimmer. That area is 2" long with a slight taper on the sides to match the taper on the trimmer. I hope this helps. I don't use the trimmer that often, so it would be easier to lend you the handle for modeling yours, I would be happy to do so Alan. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks, Tom. If I haven't bought one from Grizzly before then (I need to see if they sell replacement handles and for how much), I may ask to borrow yours and have you bring it to the picnic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS