Miter Gauge Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Ok, well it's not really a "problem" per se, at least not one I mind having. I have two very good miter gauges, an Incra Miter 1000SE and an Accu-Miter with clamp. Both have been heavily used but are in excellent condition with all the parts fully functional. I'm trying to decide if there's a good reason to keep both and if not, which should I sell/trade? I have plenty of other shop needs and little discretionary funds at the time (or for the foreseable future) so a trade/sale seems like a good idea but.... Is there ever a time where it would be handy/helpful to have two?

If I do get rid of one I'm leaning towards keeping the incra. Mainly becuase I have other incra products and the accessories would be fully compatible. I like the heft of the Accu-Miter but I don't really need it as my TS has a sliding table. The clamp is pretty handy too.... soooo :dontknow:?

So, what are you thoughts? Will I eventually regret getting rid of one? What would you do?

Travis

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Keep both. They are paid for and don't take up a lot of space. I would suggest making some way to conveniently store them so they are in easy reach and stay out of the way.

BTW, I too have two miter gauges, but I don't have a tablesaw that can use them.....

RayH

New User
Ray
Too late I discovered that I wish I had kept my second one. :eusa_doh: Re-configuring from table saw to band saw (the blade-to-slot distance is different) is a time consuming pain.:BangHead:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I agree with keeping them both. Store the second one so it's close at hand.

Red

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Tell you what - you can keep the 2nd one at my shop for 6 months or so. If you don't miss it, sell it. If you miss it, well, eh, I _thought_ I had put it on that shelf there? If you completely forget about it...what miter gauge :rolf: I say keep it for now, and revisit this when the weather turns warmer. When in doubt, remember the First Rule of Tool Acquisition: Once you have a tool, you never give it up.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I agree with the above sentiments. Keep it.

If you really want to test how things would be without it. Take it out of the shop and put it in your attic or someplace equally difficult to get at. Then over a course of time you will see just how often it would have nice to have it. You may not even realize how often you use it for that one weird cut that it does particularly well.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Travis,

Thanks for making me educate myself. I am a fan of words that I have never heard before and I had to go look up what a quorum was. I agree, we have in fact reached a quorum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS