Mirror Coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Wondering if anyone has any experiences with Mirror Coat or the other similar top coatings? I'm getting to the point of being about ready to finish up that big Maple slab I've been toiling over for about a year now and I'm leaning towards the thick, high gloss finish. My sister-in-law in SC has used something similar for some of her work and she says it's a PITA to work with but the results are very nice if done right. Any advice, ideas, hints, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Check with DavidF as he used it on his Jordan Lake table. I think the key is to use flame to reduce the bubbling. I have seen the techinique used a lot so it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
Great product, works really well. The flame technique is essential to a good finish. Surface tension should stop it pouring over the edges if it's a flat slab. The tech support at system three is also very good so don't hesitate to give them a call.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
I use similar stuff (epoxy coatings) quite a bit... dust is the boogeyman for these coatings, so keep it clean.

I always mix very well in one container, then pour into another container that I'll be using for application (this helps keep any unmixed stuff in the corners of the container from entering the actual pouring/application container)

Depending on the wood, I'll do a sealer coat that is thinned by about half (usually with acetone) in order to reduce bubbling, but it's ok if you skip this step and do the torch or hair dryer trick (even blowing carefully with a straw will get rid of most bubbles).

Then I let it dry hard for about two days before buffing (might be overkill though).

One other product I've used that gave good results is called MAX CLR, very clear and works well. Mirror Coat is great though too.

DavidF

New User
David
Good point about the container. I used a digital scale to measure the proportions accurately as they are important. I seem to remember seeing one in the HF catalogue.

Dragon

New User
David
Many thanks for all the info. I'm keeping all this and will go to their web site and have a look around too. Hopefully, not too long from now I'll be posting up some pics of the finished product. :eusa_pray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS